ACS355 Overcurrent Issue

Unfortunately I've tied up way more of this relay than I had hoped. Only the multi-purpose I/O points can be set for no PT. Terminals 18-21 have to use PT. I don't have anywhere else to move the wires to. That will be my next issue...but not for today.

Thanks.

I don't mean to offend any one but there has been a lot of nonsense mentioned here with respect to the ABB ACS355. I've used literally 100's of these units from fractional to 20hp and they are rock solid and predictable. No, they certainly don't need to be derated or deliberately oversized. I've pushed these units to and beyond their published limits successfully.

The behavior of the STO inputs to fast intermittents is something I haven't encountered but then neither they and probably nobody else's units are designed for such signals.

I think Okie's advice in post #5 is the preferred course with the only exception that the STO terminals be jumpered first.

Hope I can steal the topic a little since OP solved his problem :) I have ABB ACS150 (3 kW) and one thing that bothers me - this thing has a little fan which turns on immediately when you apply voltage to the input side (mains voltage). I cycled through all the parameters in the manual and hoped that there is some parameter which you can use to define the behaviour of the fan in the idle mode (or to switch it on only after temperature goes above the preset limit) - but no luck.

I assume you can't play with parameters like this on smaller and simpler drives (my previous experience with ABB drives was ACS880 which had tons of parameters, adaptive programming, fan on/off settings, etc.).

One thing that came to my mind was wiring fan supply voltage through the external relay controlled by drive's output relay (parameter 1401 - 7 = STARTED) but then again, if ABB set it up this way - maybe I should leave it as it is :)

Originally posted by DickDV:

The behavior of the STO inputs to fast intermittents is something I haven't encountered but then neither they and probably nobody else's units are designed for such signals.

This is incorrect. While I have not used EVERY drive on the market, this is the only drive I have ever had this kind of issue with. In fact, I have four ACS880 drives in the same enclosure that are connected to the same safety relay receiving the same pulsed outputs and they are not having any issues with that. This is because they are properly ignoring short duration test pulses that can be expected to be present when connected to a solid state safety output. In addition the way I "fixed" my problem is to interpose a monitored safety relay in between the safety relay and the drive. This device also has solid state inputs and correctly ignores test pulses.

After digging through the manual there are two things that could have caused me to INFER that pulse testing might be a problem. The first is that none of the wiring examples show the drive connected directly to OSSD outputs. the second is that the response spec for the STO inputs is listed as 10 microseconds. However, just below that is the minimum response time specification of 2 milliseconds. Now that I have had the issue I see the distinction. It also didn't help that a different drive from the same manufacturer handled the inputs differently.

OSSD outputs and connections are becoming more commonplace in today's safety environment. IMNSHO if a device can't handle receiving OSSD test pulses at the very least the manual should directly state this in big letters.

Keith

I don't mean to offend any one but there has been a lot of nonsense mentioned here with respect to the ABB ACS355

None taken Dick, however, I too have been around ABB VFDs for quite some time; the old ACS600s were and the newer ACS800-880s still are my top choice when needing to supply variable frequency to an application requiring extreme torque accuracy.

There are many valid reasons one would upsize and/or derate a VFD application and the manufacturers provide the user with the capabilty to do so when the need arises.

I have never had to use a higher rated ACS600/800/880 than the motor(s) to be driven HP; they've all performed as advertised and proved to be long lasting workhorses.

I did have issues with the ACS355 family though, not surprisingly when comparing the prices of the two VFD lines. The 355s are extremely cost effective for a reason; I always upsize 355s for multiple motor applications when not given the choice of using something else; this might sound as nonsense to some but establishing intended/specified functionality at minimum cost overruns is the name of the game afterall.

The 800-880s do not provide 'carrier' frequency amplitude user settings while the 355s do.

Why would ABB configure differently two lines of the same device type?

IMHO, because one VFD line might need said derating in order to satisfy the advertised functionality while the other one doesn't.

Like my Grandpa used to say: "Ya git whatcha pay fer!"...:D

It also didn't help that a different drive from the same manufacturer handled the inputs differently.

OSSD outputs and connections are becoming more commonplace in today's safety environment. IMNSHO if a device can't handle receiving OSSD test pulses at the very least the manual should directly state this in big letters.

Keith

That's a very good piece of acquired information/knowledge Keith; too bad you've had to go through all this trouble, however, the community will be thankful for your sharing.

I guess I've never had these issues with safety interlocks and/or STO implementations since I usually rely on OWs (Safety Relay Contacts) instead of OSSDs unless SIL4 is a requirement.

A 'jumpered' VFD STO terminal connected to a 'Safety OW' will not allow a Safety Reset after a 'trip'; good enough for SIL3.

Of course, a SIL4 system will require PT for all Safety Outputs hence you won't be able to use STO ACS355s.

By the way, did you use both plug-in sockets for the 440C-CR30? They offer the 2080-OW4I which are not PTed.

Originally posted by dmargineau:

By the way, did you use both plug-in sockets for the 440C-CR30? They offer the 2080-OW4I which are not PTed.

I don't use the 440C-CR30 enough. I never even thought about expansion I/O. I am currently just using the on-board I/O. The 2080-OW4I would take care of my issues as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Keith

to dmargineau,
1. Oversizing any brand or model of VFD is required on multiple motor applications not because of undersized output current specs but because multiple motors in parallel present such a low starting impedance that even a responsibly spec'ed drive will fault trying to start into what looks like a short, or close to it
2. Oversizing VFD's is required when the application requires driving the single motor deep into short-term overload to properly serve the application. Since a common NEMA Design B motor can be pushed to maximum overload torque with somewhere around 240% x FLA, you will need a VFD capable of that much short-term current. This usually means two frame sizes oversize. This also is not due to irresponsible specs on the part of the manufacturer.
3. To compare an ACS355 to an ACS600/800/880 is beyond an unreasonable stretch. DTC alone makes these two completely different classes of drives.
4. Since I do not often encounter the design of safety circuits and use of the STO inputs, I am happy to accept your collective insights in that regard as wise, good practice principles.
5. Hopefully, someone somewhere has been helped by this discussion. That would please me.

One thing that came to my mind was wiring fan supply voltage through the external relay controlled by drive's output relay (parameter 1401 - 7 = STARTED) but then again, if ABB set it up this way - maybe I should leave it as it is :)
As part of my Modbus testing I have been grabbing the Temperature from the ACS355. The temperature read at Parameter 0110 (Drive Temperature) rises even when the drive is stopped. I haven't been through the data looking at maximums, but then again the fan would kick in if things got too warm. So maybe best to leave it as supplied.

Yes. I added an intermediate safety module that is not affected by the pulse test duration. I thought I posted that but I didn't. I think I put that in an email to a local ABB guy.

Keith