AB Rslogix Emulate, any good?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys, I am asking for user reviews of the Rockwell Software RSLogix Emulate package. I do PLC coding off-site and away from the hardwares. To get code 90% there I need to run it through the processor but having a spare plc AND rack AND power supply is a lot of $$$ that my company won't up. I think my best bet is to use the RsLogix Emulate software but have no idea how well it works. Would someone who have actually used it give me some idea of how well suit my purpose?

On a related topic, how do other PLC vendors help programmers handle such situation? Do Modicon, GE, or Sieman have a similiar package for their PLC?

Regards,

HT

Last edited:
It's been quite a while since I used it, but the PLC5 version wasn't much use - didn't do MCP's or SFC's or CAR's. You would be better off with SoftLogix5.

Haven't tried the SLC version but since it's a less complicated processor, the emulation is probably fairly complete.

There are two worse things that it doesn't do: On-line editing (that one I kinda-sorta understand), and NO PID.

The lack of even the faintest attempt to execute a PID block can be a big pain when you are trying to simulate. I'm not asking for anything even remotely resembling tunability, but if the Setpiont is higher than the Process Variable, I would at least expect the output to move off of Zero.

But noooooooo.... The whole PID block is ignored. No PV scaling calcuation (based on MinS and MaxS), no updates, nothing.

And of course, with RSEmulate, you'll still have to write your simulation logic (see the last few post in the Bit Flashing on and off thread.

A suggestion: DON'T follow the manual and create a special "Debug" ladder file ("Debug" files are only used by RSEmulate and don't download to the PLC), but put it in regular logic instead. For I garuntee that something somewhere will happen, and you'll upload from the PLC, and "poof" - there goes your debug file.

Other things RSEmulate doesn't do: PLC-to-PLC Messaging (which you might expect, but since you've got RSLinx on your PC anyway, to monitor it online, why can't anything else treat it just as if it were a soft PLC (only without the ability to drive I/O, and without a metronome-steady scan rate) ?

It's also not the most stable of software. It crashes, or just goes into Program mode unexpectedly.

But if you are just doing Discrete I/O, and Analog Inputs, it's cheaper than a "real" PLC.

Omron have one available, Works quite well. Need fat pockets as with just about all PLC software. Pockets usually do not need to be as fat as for AB and many others.

Mitsubishi also do a simulation package (Called LLT *Ladder Logic Test) It is limited but ideal for off site programming. You can run and monitor the code, forcing bits on and off and also write a timeline program simulating when inputs come on and off. I use it quite often.

I use Emulate5 almost daily and have for quite a while now. It makes my debugging life much, much easier. And it's more portable than a processor, chassis, p/s, etc. :) It's the second-most valuable arrow in my quiver.

Modicon includes an emulator in both their IEC package (Concept) and their new ladder logic offering (ProWORX32).