Web Based Access

sreev

I would greatly appreciate comments from anyone who has experience with Micrologix and 1761-NET-ENIW and correct me if I am doing this wrong. I plan on connecting 1761-NET-ENIW to a Micrologix 1500. I will then connect it to a cable modem via broadband router with firewall/VPN. I will connect securely to the network from a remote location via VPN. I should then be able to see the PLC data tables by typing the IP address of the ENIW in my web browser. I should also be able to write to PLC using the web browser. Using RSLogix and RSLinx I should be able to modify the PLC program as well. I will configure the ENIW to email alarms over SMTP (I still need to learn how to program message instructions in ML 1500 to send email). Does this all make sense?

Also for email, I am assuming that address of an SMTP server will be required. If I use ISP's (cable modem) SMTP server, I am wondering if there is a way to add username and password to the ENIW.

I haven't had much luck with A-B's manuals on a paging modem in the past and tech support was not that knowledgeable on the subject. I ended up teaching them a thing or two on how to send text messages to cell phones and not just 2-way pagers as they thought.

I am hoping that someone on this board had experience with this type of application and would be able to comment on my proposed setup.

Sorry, this is not a very helpful post but I gotta say that I would definately be interested in hearing if anyone has gotten this setup to work as well.

Hello

We are doing this with the Micrologix 1100 and 1400 which have the built in ethernet and hence no need for the 1761-NET-ENIW.

Yes you need a smtp server for email, but if you are using a GSM modem with GPRS you can use the server provided by your mobile provider. You dont need a smtp username and password.

The serial port on the Micrologix can be used to send SMS via a SMS modem with AT commands.

You can write directly to data variables with a web based command like this to set N7:0/14

http://192.168.1.1/datachange.htm?offset=7&element=0&value=16384

Al