Micrologix 1400 and Anybus Communicator

poj101

Hi all,

I am trying to configure a Siko field bus actuator:
http://www.siko-global.com/en-gb/products/driveline-actuators/fieldbus-actuators/ag05-feldbus
using a Micrologix 1400 and an Anybus communicator (Ethernet I/P)
http://hms.se/products/abcrs.shtml

The micrologix is connected to the communicator over Ethernet. The communicator is connected to the actuator over RS485.

Firstly, I am unfamiliar with RS485.
The Siko manual states I can use ASCII commands to operate the field bus in 'Service Mode', or use 'SIKONETZ5' protocol which functions according to the master-slave principal.

I have contacted the manufacturer for some assistance, they can give me an add on for rslogix5000 but no support for micrologix controllers. The manual on the Siko is pretty vague on how to use ASCII commands. I tried setting up a hyper terminal with a USB to RS485 converter but when I send out various commands the actuator would just move the same increment each time no matter how I varied the commands.

I have now tried setting up the system with the Anybus communicator as mentioned above. Has anybody any experience configuring the communicator as mentioned?

The examples on the website seem to all be based on a ControlLogix PLC on the Ethernet side.

I have configured the communicator with an ip, set the field bus type to Ethernet /IP.

I have set the Physical interface to serial and the protocol to DF1-Master.

I have configured the baud rate and set the physical standard to RS485. The DF1 Settings are Master Node Address: 0
I have followed the online instructions to create read and write instructions.

I am sending a message out to the controller from the Micrologix, containing the relevant ASCII commands. I am guessing that I have not configured the message correctly as I get an error E0 -error code was returned from Comms module or CIP device.

I have set up various messaging applications before but I am getting a bit out of my depth here, I am assuming my errors in config are obvious to people in the know. Has anyone any suggestions to point me in the right direction?

When I initially downloaded the configuration to the communicator and sent a message out to the actuator to move to position 1000 (F0001000) the actuator moved to the 0 position. The fact that it actually moved gives me some hope but I have a bit of a way to go. 🤞🏻

Please let me know what additional data I can supply to explain more clearly...

Hi

First off sorry to say I have not used anybus with anything else but Siemens and clx or compact logix.

I have never used the 1400 Ethernet port only to message to other plcs or to a hmi

So I may not be much help but why have you set your message block as a 5000 write. Could you post the example clx code you were given

Donnchadh

Hi there,

First off, I am not sure if the Micrologix can be set up as Ethernet/IP scanner with I/O connection. However, the Anybus Communicator support both EtherNet/IP and Modbus TCP. So If the Micrologix does not support "true" EtherNet/IP, maybe Modbus TCP is possible...

When configuring the Anybus Communicator, you need to set it to Master mode - NOT DF1-Master!! On the Node you need to add Transaction and configure the Query and Response according to the Sikonetz5 protocol, see page 47 in the manual..

If still no go or uncertain, contact the support of HMS.
icon7.gif

Patrick L

Hello poj101,

attached are 2 examples communicating between a 1400 and a HMS Ethernet/IP device.
The first one is Modbus TCP to Modbus RTU,
and the second Modbus TCP to Generic serial (ascii).

N7:0 to 9 are the send data, and N7:10 to 19 the received data.

Hi Crawler,

Thanks for the files. I have tried using the modbus setup but cannot get the actuator to move with ASCII or RTU. I have attached another file using IP. Have you set up a Siko actuator using a micrologix before?

Poj

Hello poj101,
i never used the siko actuator. What is the attached zip file for?

I took a quick look to the Siko, and their protocol sikonetz5 doesnt seem to be compatible with modbus. So the easiest way for you is to use the service
protocol, the commands are pretty well explained in chapter 9 of the manual.
http://www.siko-global.com/adbimage...b8276/user-manual-sikonetz5-ag05-fieldbus.pdf

I recommend you to get it worked directly with windows (any good terminal client). Then when it works like it should be, implement it in the 1400, with
the Modbus TCP to Generic serial configuration.

And, the HMS uses diferent data pins for rs232 and rs485. Keep that in mind when you connect the siko to the anybus,
because thats over 485.

Best regards,
crawler009

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have got the actuator 'half' working. I am now able to send out data in Ascii to the Siko actuator, through the Anybus converter, and the actuator will move to the correct position. ( The ascii commands get reversed from the data file to the communicator, i.e the ascii command to move to a position is F0, you must enter 0F in the data file)Also I set the communicator up to receive CIP from the PLC and transmit in RS485.
This is working fine, my issue is now the reply from the actuator.

The manual says that in service protocol the data is sent in ascii to the device and the device sends a 'reply' with a concluding <CR>. I can monitor the data being sent/received using the log function on the communicator. The Tx data is fine, it shows what I have sent from the PLC but the Rx data is blank. The communicator does not receive a reply from the device or it does not understand it?

The message I read back on the PLC shows an error saying: Bad parameter in MSG reply packet, could not be processed by local processor.
I am wondering what exactly the device sends back? Is it an Ascii string? What is the protocol for Ascii replies? Why is there no data in the Rx log file?