Allen Bradley analog output power

DRThorne

I'm using a Allen Bradley 1746-NO4I analog output card in a 7 slot chassis and noticed in the cards manual that the 1746-P2 power supply does not meet the spec. Should I be using a linear or switchmode power supply to power the card? I also want to use this power supply to provide loop power for 4-20mA analog inputs on a analog input card. I know it's better to use linear supplies for analog inputs.

I always use a separate switching supply to power analog input loops where the field device does not power it's loop. I haven't had signal problems with this. The analog output card gets 5 volt backplane power from the rack. The analog output loops can be driven by the separate power supply. This takes a load off the rack's 24 volt rail.