Help required to communicate to an AB pf 525 drive with ethernet i/p communications

Murrayt

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a pf 525 to talk to a modbus tcp/ip system.i have not been able to make it work. I. Have a hms gateway that is modbus tcp/ip on one side and the other side is ethernet i/p. The hms gateway does not recognize the drive. Can anybody make any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forum !

It's possible that there will be a Forum member who has done exactly this sort of configuration and will be able to send you a working example, but it's more likely that we'll all have to figure it out together.

Exactly which model of HMS Fieldbus gateway are you using ? Post the AnyBus Configurator file if you can.

From what I have read, the "Anybus X-Gateway Modbus/TCP" are EtherNet/IP adapters only. Unless you have a "Anybus X-Gateway Classic", this will be a non-starter.

You mentioned that the HMS gateway "does not recognize the drive". Can you communicate with the drive using other tools, like PING and RSLinx and HTTP ?

As a note for future readers of the thread: there's an easier way to make this sort of connection.

Allen-Bradley PowerFlex 4-series (4, 4M, 40, 40P, 400) and PowerFlex 520-series (523, 525) all have a built-in communication port that supports the A-B Drive Serial Interface (DSI) protocol. DSI protocol includes several command codes that are part of the Modbus RTU serial protocol, so the PowerFlex 4-series and 520-series can communicate easily with Modbus RTU master devices.

There are many Modbus/TCP to Modbus RTU conversion devices on the market, including the excellent HMS Fieldbus "Communicator".

I am using ab7669 gateway. I am able to ping the drive. That is about all i can do. I am now working on getting the modbus to work onthe drive. I hope to have that working by theend of the dat tomorrow. I still want the gateway to work because i have afew projects that i am expected toget working using this method of comms.

I suggest that you contact the support:
[email protected]
telephone.png
Tel: +1 312 829 0601

The more details you post, the more help you will get from the Forum.

Describe the configuration you are trying to make, and post some version of your Anybus Configurator file.

I followed the information that I found in the drive manual for configuring the connection parameters. I setup this in the IP configurator and I had no response.

I have attached a word doc file with a copy of the AB manual that I used to guide me.

Are you confident that the PowerFlex 525 is configured correctly for basic Ethernet communication ?

I would be convinced that it was if you confirmed that you can browse it with RSLinx Classic at the expected IP address.

You should do that first.

Next, you should post your Anybus Configurator file here on the Forum. ZIP it first, then attach it to a post.

If we can see what settings you've actually made, then we would have a chance at telling you if you've made a mistake.

Getting "no response" from the drive is different from getting a response that indicates a configuration error. You have to describe in detail any sort of error messages you are seeing.

RSLinx see's the drive. I was able to get an eds file from the drive. With my computer I am having a problem with explorer linking the the Gateway. I was told it is my explorer. I tried Firefox I get the same. in RSLinx I see all my connections. When I try to link with the browser, I get no connection. I have attached the EDS File.

A bit of information, I will not be using an AB plc. I will be using Koyo with Modbus TCP/IP. Done this with other manufacture of drives and I had now problem. I also did a project using RTA Gateway to Ethernet I/P communications. That was successful. Now I am trying to see if I could do this with Anybus products and we are not having any luck. We are using a modbus simulator to send messages. I had an other technician try to make this work but he also had no success. We had HMS over the phone try to help us but the message we were getting through the configurator was that we had no link. On the anybus unit, the 'act' light was not on. Difficult to find out what errors we have none of the Equipment gives any idea what is the problem.

Well, that's a little more information. Thank you.

We know that you have the PowerFlex 525 drive configured for the desired IP address because you can browse it in RSLinx Classic. Good !

We also have two additional pieces of information:

1. You're using a Modbus/TCP simulator to send Modbus/TCP messages to the HMS Fieldbus AnyBus-X.

Does the Modbus/TCP simulator tell you anything about the AnyBus-X responding to its messages ?

2. The AnyBus-X configuration utility is giving you an error saying you have "no link" and the "ACT" LED on the device is not illuminated.

There are five LEDs on each network side of the AnyBus-X: Link, MS, NS, ACT, and Gateway Status.

You've said that the "ACT" LED is not on. What are the states of all the others ?

Have you verified that the Anybus-X has basic Ethernet connectivity ?

It has a DIP-switch-settable IP address that can put it in the 192.168.0.x range. That's what I would do, to start, just to be sure I can PING the device.

The Anybus-X also has an RS-232 serial port that allows you to configure it with a terminal program like Hyperterminal. Have you attempted to use that, and if so, what were the results ?

I am able to get in the Gateway with HyperTerminal.
I can ping all the devices on the network
I cannot get into the device with a web browser. I think this only my computer. I really need to get this working.
On this side with the sticker saying ethernet/ip scanner, I have the Gateway status solid green, LA light solid green the lights MS and NS are flashing green.
On the other side, I have Link solid Green. MS flashing red and NS flashing Green. ACT is off. Gateway Status is Solid Green.

For some reason my web browser give me and error "unable to detect module type".

Well, now we're diagnosing a web browser or operating system problem.

To do that, we're going to need to know more about the computer, the operating system, and the browser. Version numbers and service packs and other information (like "Windows XP SP3" or "Internet explorer 8.01") would be great.

It would help if you could describe in detail the other devices connected to the network, like with a list of IP addresses.

I don't like to rely on PING to tell me that devices are really connected and configured. There's too much chance of there being an IP conflict or an incorrect assumption about which device is which.

There's an excellent piece of freeware called "TCPING" (www.elifulkerson.com). You can use that utility to verify connectivity to devices using a TCP connection instead of the more basic "PING" command. Using TCPING on TCP Port 502 proves you're talking to a Modbus/TCP device, and on TCP Port 44818 it's EtherNet/IP. TCP Port 80 is the standard HTTP port, so you can be sure the device is responding in some way to your HTTP request.

The ports might not yet be set up for EtherNet/IP or Modbus/TCP, but they should definitely respond to TCPing on Port 80.

When you type the IP address of the gateway into your web browser... exactly what do you see ? Is there any sort of frame or page that suggests that the Anybus-X is responding at all ?

It might help to right-click on the resulting web page and select 'show source', to tell you more about how the Anybus-X is responding to the HTTP request.

Are you familiar with using Alt-PrintScreen and control-V in MS-Paint to capture screenshots ? A screenshot might be very helpful.