Siemens PCS and Allen-Bradley Logix PLCs Integration

I worked with PCS7 and integrating any other vendor with WinCC should be easy enough as it has plenty of drivers for communications.
On the PLC side, I was lucky enough that everything used Siemens so didn't have a lot of issues.

In order to create the object block and types for PCS7, you need to use another program called DBA. There are several different versions of this "OpenOS" and "APACS+". We use the APACS+ version, but it allows you to create the obects through a CSV processor to create your tag structures for the blocks, and handle messaging for alarms and such. I've personally integrated an Intellicenter via CompactLogix into PCS7 that looks and feels like any other PCS7 Object block, but with the added functionality for the Intellicenter, as well as Alarming blocks and Analog Blocks that use the existing PCS7 AFB faceplates, but communicate back to Logix processors.
I've currently got a Logix based AOI that mimics PCS7 architecture, and am developing the tag server side right now to integrate it into PCS7.

All of our Logix based processors reside within the AS interface subnet over ethernet. We use RSLinx Gateway as the OPC server on our tag servers, and the PCS7 OS tag servers poll the data for the PCS7 clients. Its a lot of work developing the CSV properly but you can make it simple as well, depending on your requirements.

Last edited: