AutoMax DCS version 2.1 software

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is the first AutoMax DCS system I have dealt with, the system is less than 2 yrs old but the software etc is all dos based.

First I am trying to understand how the DCS works. This has a 7010 Processor and is using an AB RIO scanner card to connect to Maxitron DC Drives and a SLC 10 slot rack and a digital interface.

This is the part that has me slightly confused, is the SLC rack just a Remote I/O rack with no processor? Is that how this is done normally? ie the DCS has the only processor?

I dont have any manuals for the Automax Programming software (version 2.1g) so havent exactly figured out how it works either. From what I can tell the DCS can have multiple tasks/programs/files running for various processes..ie a ladder file for the digital I/O, another task for the drives, another for communication, high speed inputs.

Alot of this is too organize the system in my head. This system is overkill and made overcomplicated by what documentation/prints I have. The wiring schematics show where I/O connect to the digital cards in the rack....each card has a designation 150N2, 150N3 etc etc
with channel 0, 1, 2, etc instead of using I:0/0, I:0/2 etc.

Now comes the good part, the printed copy of the programming is in Italian and coded. For the ladder section what the print shows as 150N2 channel 4 will be something like R1_cthgls.

Does this sound confusing? for me it is very confusing. I have figured out some of it but I have a long way to go before I can truly understand.

Maybe some of you have dealt with Automax or something similar and can shed some insight on any of it.

My biggest problem is trying to view the lad.pc file with the editor, I havent figured out how to load the file. There are times when its nice to be able to monitor I/O online, this software gives the option to connect online but I havent figured out the right procedure to do all this.

If you have any ideas or know where I can find a manual for the 2.1 Automax software it will be highly appreciated. I am scowering the Automation bookstore for any/all references.

Thanks

I bulldogged my way thru the software until I figured out how to access the ladder file offline, I will try online tomorrow morning.

I also found a reference in the software to manual Item Numbers J-3610 and J-3661 and have ordered them from the automation bookstore.

PC Editor

I have used the DOS version of Automax. It uses a norton editor as the default program editor for the basic and block task. The ladder editor is morphed from norton. You use F3 to initiate a file command and then:

E exits w/ save
Q quits w/o save
R reseqences line numbers
M moves
A adds description to rung
C changes description
I info on task; scan time ect

F4 :n.o contact alt F4 = up transition contact

I think these commands are at the bottom of the screen.

I hope this helps you get started. I will try to dig out a manual. At least mine would be in English.

rsdoran said:
Now comes the good part, the printed copy of the programming is in Italian...
Isn't that nice?... :rolleyes:

I think I've mentioned it here before, but a good place to translate "technical" terms is LOGOS <--- Link

Translating a few "key words" might shed some light on the original programmer's method of programming...

Buona Fortuna ("Good Luck" in Italian)... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Sorry to jump in on someones thread, but does anyone have a copy of this old dos based software? I need a cop and cant seem to locate it anywhere.(automax v3 plc) software 2.1 newer versions (4.2) wont work.

It's been a while since I looked at version 2 of AutoMax. Your I/O variables will be listed in the .cnf file. They are defined in a Slot/Drop/Register/Bit format. I'm not sure if they will be listed as an IODEF as we didn't have any AB cards in our system.

Hope this helps.