Migration from micrologix 1500 to compactlogix 1769 l30er

akash11132

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I am Akash. I am currently working on a PLC upgrade project from micrologix 1500 type to compactlogix 1769LRP. I have migrated the whole rslogix 500 program file to studio 5000 v24 environment using migrator.

But, there are certain bits( Status bits s:0/1, s:5/0, s:1/13, s:5/3, s:4/13) that I could not translate to 5000 environment. Can anyone provide insights on how to bring that status bits to the 5000 program.

Regards,
Akash

Welcome to the forum!

The bits you are searching for can generally be replaced with GSV/SSV instructions. There are a large number of statuses and parameters you can Set/Get for controllers and modules. Have a look throught a GSV instruction help, and you should find something to replace each of those bits.

For CompactLogix, use a GSV instruction (Get System Value). Configure the instruction to pull the status you want and put it in a DINT tag. The RSlogix 5000 online will give you the details.

Hi,
Thanks for the timely suggestions. I have looked at the GSV instruction list and found it little confusing as to how to assign the attribute, classname , instance name, destination parameters in GSV block using these Micrologix controller status bits(s:5/0- math overflow trap, s:1/13- major error halt, s:5/3 -major error executing user fault, s4:13 -timebase, s:0/1- overflow)

I have attached the RSLogix 500 rungs with status file instructions. Can anyone shed light on how to incorporate these in Studio 5000. Should I include the GSV instructions in Controller Fault Handler routines?. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Akash

HDSTATUS.jpg HDSTATUS1.jpg

Hi,
Thanks for the timely suggestions. I have looked at the GSV instruction list and found it little confusing as to how to assign the attribute, classname , instance name, destination parameters in GSV block using these Micrologix controller status bits(s:5/0- math overflow trap, s:1/13- major error halt, s:5/3 -major error executing user fault, s4:13 -timebase, s:0/1- overflow)

I have attached the RSLogix 500 rungs with status file instructions. Can anyone shed light on how to incorporate these in Studio 5000. Should I include the GSV instructions in Controller Fault Handler routines?. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Akash

S:5/0 Overflow Trap Bit - It only exists on the Logix500 platform. Logix5000 sets a Minor Fault Type 4, Code 4 whenever an Over or Under-Flow occurs.

S:1/13 Major Error Halted - There is no point having PLC code to "inspect" this bit. By the time this bit gets set by the processor, it has already entered "Major Fault" shutdown, so no code can be executed.

S:5/3 Major Error Executing User Fault - similar to the above, it flags up a second Recoverable Major Fault while a previous one is being dealt with in a Fault Routine. Since you can only have one Fault Routine, the processor MUST go to Major Fault if this occurs, so again there's no code that can be executed.

S:4/13 Time Base - S:4 is a "free-running clock", or count value, incremented automatically by the processor. Many people use individual bits from this typically to flash lamps. From the "Help" on the SLC Status File, bit 13 will toggle on and off every 163,840mS. Logix5000 has no "free-running clock" like this, and there would be several ways to "re-engineer" this functionality, depending on what it is used for, and how accurate it needs to be. You could use a periodic task and a counter, or a timer, or inspect the system clock values using GSV.

S:0/1 Overflow - This is a status bit set by the processor when the result of an arithmetic instruction generates an Overflow, or Underflow. (The "Trap" bit is also set at the same time - see above). Programmers should inspect this bit, and act on it accordingly, to prevent erroneous data being used in following code. Logix5000 arithmetic status bits exist, and you can XIC them as you wish. They are....

S:V Overflow (or Underflow)
S:C Carry (or Borrow)
S:N Negative Result
S:Z Zero Result

NOTE : The programming software makes no attempt to highlight these S:x bits like it does normal BOOL tags. It knows they could be toggling on and off all through a user's program, so doesn't green highlight a "true" state.

software

Hi,
I am Akash. I am currently working on a PLC upgrade project from micrologix 1500 type to compactlogix 1769LRP. I have migrated the whole rslogix 500 program file to studio 5000 v24 environment using migrator.

But, there are certain bits( Status bits s:0/1, s:5/0, s:1/13, s:5/3, s:4/13) that I could not translate to 5000 environment. Can anyone provide insights on how to bring that status bits to the 5000 program.

Regards,
Akash

What program did you use to convert from RS Logix 500 to 5000? I can't believe a software like that exists. Is it free?

What program did you use to convert from RS Logix 500 to 5000? I can't believe a software like that exists. Is it free?

Studio 5000 has a conversion utility that will convert your 500 code into 5000 code. It has some limitations and in my opinion is not always the best way to go. It comes with the Studio 5000 software.

Thanks a lot daba for the detailed suggestions. Will try to work on it. @alive 15 its called RSLogix 5000 project migrator utility.