B&R 2005 PLC communication

ngoodman

Hi has anyone ever established communication with a B&R PLC via a serial port?

I have been using a B&R OPC server via a virtual com port over ethernet but would like to talk direct from my scada package rather than via the many other bits of software running in the background.

The scada package supports C like script so coding the protocol should be OK - just need to know if it is possible and if any one knows a link to the protocols needed to read out some data from the PLC

I am sure that the B&R OPC Server (PVI ?) supports serial connections as well as ethernet.

The scada package supports C like script so coding the protocol should be OK
You untind the implement a communication protocol in a script language ?
I doubt it will work.

Hello ngoodman,
we have been using serial connection to B&R by default the last years, only now switching to Ethernet.

I never was in touch until now with the B&R OPC server (will happen one of these days :) but I guess the server is running on the PLC. So, why you are using a virtual COM Port over Ethernet and not Ethernet to receive Data via PVI ?

Which protocol is your Scada using to connect to the OPC server ? Is it PVI or something else ?

br
bb

Hey NGoodman,

We work a lot with B&R, but I never heared that the protocol (INA) has been disclosed. Indeed, use OPC or PVI is the straightforward way.
We also have applications where we designed our own protocol via an ethernet connection. A server TCP/IP socket is opened on the PLC on which one or more hosts can connect to. The data-reception and sending in the PLC is taken care of by a self-written driver.
We use this to write/read a number of variables, No complicated stuff like tracing etc.

I'm sure this can be done via a (added) serial port.

Greetz,