OT - Buy only what you need

Stephen Luft

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all,

I found this on another forum. The prices will vary, depending on where you are, but the concept is intersting. In order for it to work, I would think you would have to have a large number of people doing it.

A man eats two eggs each morning for breakfast. When he goes to the grocery store he pays .60 cents a dozen. Since a dozen eggs won't last a week he normally buys two dozens at a time.

One day while buying eggs he notices that the price has risen to 72 cents. The next time he buys groceries, eggs are .76 cents a dozen. When asked to explain the price of eggs the store owner says, "the price has gone up and I have to raise my price accordingly".

This store buys 100 dozen eggs a day. I checked around for a better price and all the distributors have raised their prices. The distributors have begun to buy from the huge egg farms. The small egg farms have been driven out of business.

The huge egg farms sells 100,000 dozen eggs a day to distributors. With no competition, they can set the price as they see fit. The distributors then have to raise their prices to the grocery stores. And on and on and on. As the man kept buying eggs the price kept going up. He saw the big egg trucks delivering 100 dozen eggs each day. Nothing changed there.

He checked out the huge egg farms and found they were selling 100,000 dozen eggs to the distributors daily. Nothing had changed but the price of eggs.

The week before Thanksgiving the price of eggs shot up to $1.00 a dozen. Again he asked the grocery owner why and was told, " cakes and baking for the holiday". The huge egg farmers know there will be a lot of baking going on and more eggs will be used. Hence, the price of eggs goes up. Expect the same thing at Christmas and other times when family cooking, baking, etc. happen.

This pattern continues until the price of eggs is 2.00 a dozen. The man says, "there must be something we can do about the price of eggs".

He starts talking to all the people in his town and they decide to stop buying eggs. This didn't work because everyone needed eggs. Finally, the man suggested only buying what you need.

He ate 2 eggs a day. On the way home from work he would stop at the grocery and buy two eggs. Everyone in town started buying 2 or 3 eggs a day.

The grocery store owner began complaining that he had too many eggs in his cooler. He told the distributor that he didn't need any eggs. Maybe wouldn't need any all week.

The distributor had eggs piling up at his warehouse. He told the huge egg farms that he didn't have any room for eggs would not need any for at least two weeks.

At the egg farm, the chickens just kept on laying eggs.

To relieve the pressure, the huge egg farm told the distributor that they could buy the eggs at a lower price. The distributor said, " I don't have the room for the %$&^*&% eggs even if they were free".

The distributor told the grocery store owner that he would lower the price of the eggs if the store would start buying again. The grocery store owner said, "I don't have room for more eggs. The customers are only buy 2 or 3 eggs at a time". "Now if you were to drop the price of eggs back down to the original price, the customers would start buying by the dozen again".

The distributors sent that proposal to the huge egg farmers. They liked the price they were getting for their eggs but, them chickens just kept on laying.

Finally, the egg farmers lowered the price of their eggs. But only a few cents. The customers still bought 2 or 3 eggs at a time. They said, "when the price of eggs gets down to where it was before, we will start buying by the dozen."

Slowly the price of eggs started dropping. The distributors had to slash their prices to make room for the eggs coming from the egg farmers. The egg farmers cut their prices because the distributors wouldn't buy at a higher price than they were selling eggs for.

Anyway, they had full warehouses and wouldn't need eggs for quite a while.
And them chickens kept on laying.
Eventually, the egg farmers cut their prices because they were throwing away eggs they couldn't sell. The distributors started buying again because the eggs were priced to where the stores could afford to sell them at the lower price.

And the customers starting buying by the dozen again.
Now, transpose this analogy to the gasoline industry.
What if everyone only bought $10.00 worth of gas each time they pulled to the pump. The dealers tanks would stay semi full all the time. The dealers wouldn't have room for the gas coming from the huge tank farms. The tank farms wouldn't have room for the gas coming from the refining plants. And the refining plants wouldn't have room for the oil being off loaded from the huge tankers coming from the Middle East.

Just $10.00 each time you buy gas. Don't fill it up. You may have to stop for gas twice a week but, the price should come down.

Think about it.
As an added note...When I buy $10.00 worth of gas, that leaves my tank a little under half full. The way prices are jumping around, you can buy gas for $2.65 a gallon and then the next morning it can be $2.15. If you have your tank full of $2.65 gas you don't have room for the $2.15 gas. You might not understand the economics of only buying two eggs at a time but, you can't buy cheaper gas if your tank is full of the high priced stuff.

Also, don't buy anything else at the gas station, don't give them any more of your hard earned money than what you spend on gas, until the prices come down.

I actually do this for the car I drive to work...I never fill it up.

Any thoughts?

10 Dollars in my Hummer would barely get me to the store and back. But I will go along with you and start only put a half an tanks worth (around $75) from now on.

Your analogy, story, is screwy. I do not know of a store that will sell 2 or 3 eggs at a time AND if it was possible to buy 2 or 3 at a time then the price would be higher, per egg, therefore the consumer would pay more.

It all conforms to supply and demand. OH yeah, just because we have possession of oil does not mean we have processed gas.

In the case of the existing oil prices the demand has not changed but factors involving processing gas has changed, hurricane Katrina, the war, etc.

Anytime demand exceeds supply then price will increase.

Whether you fill up or just buy a partial tank of gas at a station/convience store will not matter, they get regular deliveries that top their tanks and adjust the price according to what that deliveries price is.

You have to understand that in most case, with gas, that the retailer does not make much on gas. The government limits what they can charge and imposes high taxes and the oil companies set pricing in many cases.

As Terry has mentioned many times, there may be more than one oil company BUT they have established a monopoly, basically government sanctioned, that sets the prices.

The simple fact as can be noted from other replies is that Americans will not and are not going to give up their big vehicles or using as much gas as they want when they want.

As for that retailer/gas station, he is my local source of beer at the lowest price. Why would I want him/her to go out of business? The gas pricing is not his/her fault.

BTW I rarely fill up either but my van and PU would cost over $50 each if I did fill up and I do not travel much these days. My wife fills her mini-van every week or so but she drives daily to work plus to Tennessee on a regular basis, just easier for her.

Another thing you have to realize is that the price may fluctuate these days but in general it will do nothing but increase..THEREFORE by not filling up you are "gambling" that the price will not increase when you next need gas...that is a bad gamble these days.

Last edited:
I disagree with the concept...the only way that anything like that will work is if you don’t drive as much.

If I get gas every other day, but now I will get gas every day..but I still drove 40 miles a day and used the same amount of gas then the only thing I have done is wasted time by getting gas twice

Or if my tank holds 80 gals then I would get better mileage with only 40 gal.

I think we need to go back to Terry thread of making a better car.

Also I work 62miles one way…do I need to stop and get gas halfway?

Sorry Stephen but I disagree (with this one)

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=22499

Unlike a hen, you can turn off an oil pump. OPEC will merely cut production. Its common practice to change production quotas.

If you think the gas companies will notice if you only fill half your tank at a time, you are kidding yourself. It is the total mileage of the cars in the US and the total number of miles driven that count, period.

Drive fewer miles, use a car with better mileage, and you will save. If lots of folks do this, maybe prices will come down, maybe not. There are a lot of places in the world besides the USA that use petroleum. We maybe the greediest, but it is pure ego to think we alone set the demand and the prices.

This has been beat to death before. LEt it die!

Stephen,

I appreciate what you are saying. That is, I understand. However... I think the primary problem with the idea is the "buffer-effect".

We have to get gas as often as we need to support the milage we drive.

If we had a device that would draw gas from the station only as we needed, thus negating the need for a gas-tank at all, that would be the best that we could hope for in terms of not buying any more gas, at any one time, than we needed at that time.

The only time that a car would not be drawing any gas would be when the car is not running. There are, however, always at least some cars running at any given time.

From the oil company point of view, what would be the net difference?

Nada! Zilch! Goose-Egg! We would still be using oil/gas at the same average rate!

The gas-tanks in our cars are "buffers". They operate on a 1-week cycle (approx).
The gas-tanks in the ground are "buffers". They too operate on a 1-week cycle (approx).
The gas-tanks at the distributors are "buffers". They operate on about a 4 to 8-week cycle (approx).

Those "buffers" produce a leveling effect on the perceived rate of consumption.

The oil producers and oil refiners are not likely to feel any difference at all. The distibutor might only find that he needs to make slightly larger deliveries, however, just a little less often.

To have any affect at all, we would have to leave ALL cars off for at least a month, maybe two!

That is, if you wanted to force the price of eggs down, you would have to go without buying eggs at all for some period of time. That time would be based on how long it would take for the hens to fill up all of the store shelves, the distributor shelves, and the wherehouse shelves at the farm!

They too operate with "buffers"!

But then, don't forget, some farmers (Dairy for example) would rather throw their products away before letting the consumer-price come down! (Sometimes justified, sometimes not.)

Which brings us back to the gas companies, they would just as soon sell their gas somewhere else rather than let the consumer-price come down!

True, there is a whole bunch of us, but many folks live from paycheck to paycheck, and gas-tank to gas-tank. There are much fewer of "them" and "they" definitely ain't living paycheck to paycheck!

If it came down to it, I'm sure that "they" could out-last us! In fact, I'm pretty damned sure that "they" wouldn't even know that we were trying to do anything... until well after we failed! "They" too operate with a "buffer"... it's called "class separation". Like Leona said... we are the "little people"! We would all have to get together and make a lot of noise for a long time before "they" realized that the "little people" were stirring things up again!

Think of it in terms of storage capacity. The giant egg farm has some storage capacity because he has to be able to store whatever the hens lay until the distributor comes around to pick them up. The distributor has to have some storage capacity to be able to respond to fluctuations in demand from the retailers. The retailer has to have some storage capacity for the same reason. The consumer also has storage capacity in his refrigerator.

In Stephen's fable, the result of "buying only what you need" is to shift the location of the storage capacity upstream from the consumer's refrigerator to either the retailer, the distributor, the producer or some combination of the three. If the same number of eggs are moving through the supply chain, the disruption will impose no pressure to decrease the price. If anything, there will be pressure to increase it. Somebody, somewhere in the chain might have to lease additional storage space. Who do you think will wind up paying for that additional space?

I remember years ago, people tried to boycott Shell oil, there was even a slogan back then "The Hell With Shell". If everyone would ban together and boycott one chain, maybe that would have an effect but I doubt it. I think the above comments are correct and they would just sell it to some other company.

I myself cannot wait till that E85 ethenol comes on the market, it looks like that has the oil companies a little worried already.
Hope it burns in my Hummer.

PS
No Hummer here, just a truck and fortunately I do a lot of work at my home office so a lot of times my truck sits parked for a number of days.

Tom Jenkins said:
This has been beat to death before. LEt it die!

At least it sounds better than "don't buy gas day". OK, it doesn't. But at least it is a new spin.

You may have to stop for gas twice a week but, the price should come down.

What is the difference whether you fill up once a week or twice?

If you use 20 gallons a week it does not matter how you obtain that 20 gals...EXCEPT the price may go up from buying the first $10 to the next time.

I ain't the sharpest knife in this drawer but fer edjimacated people y'all got some dumb ideas about finance and politics. What is worse is some of the statements on the aforementioned subjects.

In my region there is a saying "The SOUTH will rise again", keep this up and we will have no choice. HMMM the last 2 presidential election outcomes were based on ballots in the SOUTH...hmmm.

BTW feel free to rant about dictatorship etc but HOW do you know that the agenda is NOT to return us to a time that preceeded THE WAR.

Last edited:
And so... y'all seem to recognize the "buffer-issue"... no?

I guess that's just my way of saying, Hey, how about giving credit where credit is due?

And then Ron says...
"In my region there is a saying "The SOUTH will rise again", keep this up and we will have no choice. HMMM the last 2 presidential election outcomes were based on ballots in the SOUTH...hmmm.

Actually, the vote was decided in both Florida (South) and Ohio (North). I would like to think that either one going the other way would have gotten us out of Iraq, however, GW insisted on starting that second, unneccesary, and un-called for, war within his first term. So then, as now, we can't get out so easily because we are already commited!

By the way, I've finally been able to get my own hard-core Republican brother in Florida to see the error of his previous ways... he won't vote for the Republican Ticket next time! And yes, he's as bull-headed as I am! But he finally saw the light! Ahhhh! There is hope! And believe me, convincing him means that there really is hope for the others!

But I gotta say, Ron, your reference to "the South shall rise again" is nothing more than a call for the rest of the country to keep putting the South down! And yet, that is so un-natural to do so to one's brothers!

If anything needed to die, it should be that damned "the South shall rise again" *******!

(Damn it, Phil! Quit filtering out "*******"! ...without the dashes, of course.)

Then Ron said...
"BTW feel free to rant about dictatorship etc but HOW do you know that the agenda is NOT to return us to a time that preceeded THE WAR."

RON... ARE YOU KIDDING????

As an aside... this must be interesting to those Brits that are into the political-history kinda stuff. That is, if they are interested at all in what we do politically. I'm just curious on their point of view.