difference between allen bradlly and seimense PLCs

Online edits do not have to stop the PLC.

Like any system if you change a function block (parameters)you then have to find all instances of the block, change them.
however in siemens or in AB you will have to stop the plc for download as it will crash if still processing a call to the fb with wrong parameter assignment.
on line edits in siemens is easy providing you follow the rules & the ability to create a very large or many blocks & download then download the new calls in ob1 is a must on some plants.
By the way talking experience for me 26 years siemens, Ab, omron
20 years mitsubishi, koyo,imo and many other non descript plc's about 8 years
Even a few others most people would not come across like "Thorn"

"Like any system if you change a function block (parameters)you then have to find all instances of the block, change them."

This is what I mean by the AB and Siemens camps being so different they can't relate. There is no FB in AB............no the SLC500 anyway.

With a SLC500, I can go online............really online and there is only ONE method of going online. And since the offline file matches the online file I know what I am seeing in AB is what is actually in the PLC and running right now. Or I can look at whats in the PLC and use just the comments from the my offline file that does not match exactly, like if someone edited the original while I wasn't looking. Then only the edited parts would be missing comments.

Now that I am online, I can change a rung or 2 or 3 or 4 .I never did more than 3 or 4 at a time not sure what the limit is. Probably limited by the PLC memory because it holds the edited and unedited versions in memory until you accept it as permenant.

So I edit away and then chose test edits..............where I can see it work live real time but with the ability to quickly hit "undo" or untest and put it back the way it was. I can go back and forth if I like.

Then when I like it , I can chose accept edits and compile and it is permanent and in the PLC ................without ever going into stop mode.

Now if you want to do offline edits and load them all at once , then you need to "download" and this causes a stop of the CPU.

The big difference is that online editing is slower , the communications and screen updates slow down everything. So most people use online for small changes when you can't stop the process and offline for large changes when you have time to stop production and do testing.

I have heard that the new AB does have FBs in which case it would have to be as you say. BUt not so with the SLC500.

With Siemens, I have not found a way to edit a block and download it and then undo it while testing a new edit. And I have to remember to download the DB that goes with the FB even though they are linked and to me should considered one item for downloading especially if the parameters have been changed. But that's just me.

I have only had to stop the PLC in Siemens when I download the system data. Otherwise the PLC stays in run mode and downloads the new block and keeps running.

I would not do this in a production machine unless I was confidant it would cause problems with the process. I never had a problem using the online edit in AB. But I haven't used Siemens while in production yet so I don't know what effect changing blocks will have on the process.

Not that either is a better system.........that's not my angle here.........just makeing a clarification so it is easier to understand the differences.

How is it even a question

The only right way is the way I'm best used to. And that goes for everyone, I believe :ROFLMAO:.

Blaming either one of these manufacturers (as dahnuguy does) is simply complaining they didn't ask the individual end-user what he/she wants. I believe that if you only have a handful of users, you can consult them. But if you have hundreds of thousands of users worldwide, you're bound to find a lot of them complaining. It's very hard to please everybody, you know.

I do use both Siemens (S5, S7-200 and S7-300) and Allen-Bradley (CompactLogix and SLC 5/03) PLCs. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses, but neither is worse than the other.

Happy holidays,

I am not "blaming" anyone for anything, just answering the question. Anybody can learn AB with easy to follow documentation and a minimum of effort and time 2 weeks is plenty for the basics.

S7 on the other hand is nowhere near as easy to read or impliment..........for the first time user.

Regardless of which you like or enjoy using these statements will remain true................for the new user.

I am frankly amazed that anyone even bothers to argue the point.

I would think it obvious ............but don't take my word for it........download the demos and give it a shot.

I have never met anyone "in the field" that ever complained that AB was complex or difficult to use.

Not one.

I have heard lots of complaints about Toshiba, GE FANUC, Modicon. The only complaint with AB is expense.

I know one integrator who will just turn a whole job down flat if the customer asks for Seimens.

Even as I begin to like S7 I would never recommend it to a first time user unless he first attended a training class.

I wish I could have.

Which is easier to set up WindowsXP or Linux? Which is easier to rebuild , a 64 Ford or a 2009 Ferrari? Some things just seem obvious.

I have watched this thread take a couple of turns with great interest.

It is quite strange that people get so wound up about different PLC brands and the way they work for crazy reasons.

My first question to a rep is 'how does the software work'? If there are no shortcut keys forget it - unless the PLC is specified if course.
The second question is 'how much is the software and what do I get for my money'?

The third question is 'show me the software'.

If the software requires lots of 'drag and drop' the answer is 'go away and come back when you have decent software' - I use the keyboard and do not wish to get RSI from dragging and dropping with a mouse.

If there are add ons that make the software very expensive the answer is 'what'? 'You have to be joking'. Expensive full packages sponer the same response.
I do not mind paying for good software as it does cost a lot of money to develop but, quite frankly, the cost of a full set of software from AB, Siemens and Schneider is an absolute joke!!!

My main criteria is getting the software written and commissioned fast - on to the next job and make a buck. Drag and drop slows me down and gives me RSI - I describe that type of software as 'good for factory fiddlers not developers and SIs' - expensive full packages come out of my bottom line - hardware costs are fairly immaterial as I price that into the job.

I think everyone here knows I prefer Omron for the software, fucntions, programmable short cut keys and a reasonable price for the overall complete package. About $2500 AU - AB is over $17000 AU - Schneider is over $11000 AU, Siemens is over $11000 AU - RIDICULOUS!!!!
One also has to have a look to see if the hardware is suitable of course but, once again, the software and PLC function set SAVE ME MONEY!!
At the end of the day I am in business to make money and really do not give a hoot about brands - I want the easiest to use and an affordable, fully functional package. I ain't in business for myself to put up with bad software, expensive software, software/hardware that is lacking in functions, (I do not want to have to write my own if possible), racks (give me rackless PLCs any day), firmware problems, service problems (I need to be able to get bits on the weekend if something breaks down), reliability, warranty (Omron have 2 years warranty on everything they sell in Australia - NO ARGUMENTS), the overall package is important too but good software saves me heaps of time and a fully functional, reasonably priced package saves me money out of my bottom line.
I might add that I will not buy anything that cannot be programmed online quickly and easily - I also do not want to be 'farting around' with online/offline screens - where do these manufacturers come from?

QUICK - QUICK - QUICK (and easy) saves me money and suffering from RSI!!!!!

I have used many PLCs over the years and today my preference is definately Omron, AB is OK if you can offload the software costs and the pain and agro associated with different firmware versions not working together (now resloved I understand but that was an absolutely expensive pain with Control Logix I got caught), GE-Fanuc is quite good once around the funny quirks, Hitachi I would prefer to forget - horrible software and too many problems with hardware, Siemens you either love or hate (I am of the latter persuasion), IDEC is OK but the software is pretty painful, have not used Toshiba for years and do not really want to, Wago stuff reportadly has hardware problems, Scheider Unity etc is an absolute pain and darned expensive (the new PLC [384]? is also fairly useless quite frankly from my discussions with my rep), Misubishi software is a pain etc etc. I could travel a lot further than this but making/saving money is the main interest at the end of the day. Brands do not really matter to me.

Do not really care about FBs, SCL, STL etc - most customers/consultants require ladder and that is fine by me. Would use these other things if they were any use to me but generally they are not - they just cost me time (and money). I would use text based (or variants) if I was doing complex maths - no reason otherwise.

With a SLC500, I can go online............really online and there is only ONE method of going online. And since the offline file matches the online file I know what I am seeing in AB is what is actually in the PLC and running right now. Or I can look at whats in the PLC and use just the comments from the my offline file that does not match exactly, like if someone edited the original while I wasn't looking. Then only the edited parts would be missing comments.

Now that I am online, I can change a rung or 2 or 3 or 4 .I never did more than 3 or 4 at a time not sure what the limit is. Probably limited by the PLC memory because it holds the edited and unedited versions in memory until you accept it as permenant.

You should be able to make the S7 work very closely to this. As always, Siemens gives you several options when editing blocks. But, if you do these exact steps, you can make temporary changes and then decide to keep them or discard them at the end:

1. Open an offline block.
2. Edit whatever you want in the block.
3. Do a Ctrl-L to download the block (I use hot keys, so I don't know which icon it is, but it is same one you use for any other download).
4. You can immediately go online and monitor the new code, and can make additional changes.
5. When you close the block, you will get a prompt as to whether you want to save the changes to the offline block. If you say no, the block will close with no changes, and you can download it again from the Simatic Manager to erase all of your online changes if you want.

I only mention this because I have run into a few commissioning engineers who didn't know you could download changes to an offline block without saving the changes first. It's handy when you just need to quickly test something and don't want to screw up the time stamps of the original code.

Last edited: