GuardLogix 5580 (L81ES) - safety over embedded port?

pegla00

Hi All,

I've been using this processor that communicates with safety I/O (attached to 1734-AENT) over 1756-EN2T Ethernet card.

The client now wants to add safety produced/consumed communication to another L81ES over embedded Ethernet port.

I am not sure about this. The docs say it is for I/O, motion but not for safety.

What do you think?

Thanks.

GuardLogix 5580 allows for safety over the prod/com tags. Reference Rockwell document: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um543_-en-p.pdf

Page 177 and go from there.

You will need to have the Safety Network setup correctly and make the tags specifically as safety Produce Consume tags. Do not use normal tags for this operation.

I would also test the safety network in the event of a disconnected cable between the two controllers. Not a fun test, but something I would do in a controlled environment.

If Rockwell claims it's rated for safety, I believe them. But always use your best judgement and consider the risk involved in the risk analysis of what they are protecting against. Is it a common hazard? Is there a significant risk to life/limb? A Guardlogix without a safety partner is rated for SIL 2.

To add anecdotal evidence to Megabyte's excellent summary: I have done safety produced/consumed over the embedded ethernet port of a 1756-L81ES before and it (a) worked, and (b) was validated by an expert third party safety validator.

To hopefully add: an Ethernet port is an Ethernet port, unless we’re talking about redundancy. EtherNet/IP safety features are handled by higher-level CIP protocol objects on Safety/EIP devices. Your choice of port or module might have an impact on the safety response time.