New PLCs.net Site Features and Design

Thanks for the ideas thus far... please keep suggesting!

I certainly understand that since I'm asking in the forum area most ideas will be forum related.
So, I'll gladly keep them for future reference to use perhaps after the other 'pieces' of the site have been completed.

So far, non-forum related ideas seem to be:

PLC Jobs area improvement
Wiki/outside article area
Product area
facebook/youtube channels

Please keep suggesting...

Enjoy,

I think that you could probably sell more books/videos if you had picture links on the main page along with the Hypertext.
dvd3.gif

I like the forum just as it is. Perhaps tabs to some of the other stuff such as PLC reviews and the like would be good. Unlike many of you I do not use my phone or tablet too access the site - I do not even use my phone for browsing the web or have email on it. It is a desperate time if I use my phone for browsing for something and emails can wait until I have time. I have work to do and money to make and cannot tolerate interruptions while I am working. I can understand though that a mobile version would be useful for many. I think easier/tab access to other features would be very good.

I'm a Chrome user (V47.0). When I select the "REVIEWS" selection I get the listing of items to review. However, when I select any of the items in the list my browser returns a blank screen. I haven't tried it with Firefox or IE so I'm not sure if it works with either of those.

I would also put a time limit on the listings in the PLC JOBS section. One would hope we are all adult enough that we would clean up after ourselves. However, experience tells me that isn't the case. I would say if a post is over 4 months old nothing is going to happen with it either way.

Keith

I would like to see a "my replies" button/link that would show me a list of all the threads I've replied to, instead of having to search for my name.

Not sure if you have seen the "reply arrow" (see below) the arrow will show up on every thread you have replied to, I normally try and stop in once a day or every other so I just need to look at the past day or two

reply.jpg

I buy a lot and hardly ever see anything in the "Buy/Sell PLC's" section, I do not check very often but I would be nice if the link/font was flashing or a different color if there was a new listing, I think it would get more traffic and use

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Buy/sell area will leave.
Guestbook will leave.
Reviews is currently a 'dummy page' as spammers had a field day with my poor code and it was a daily task to clean. Reviews will return with better coding.
PLC Jobs wanted will leave. PLC jobs offered will return with better coding.
Maybe a cross reference or product comparison area will be added, or integrated with the reviews area or...?

While the suggestions are certainly appreciated I'm still looking for that 'WOW idea'. Again... ANYTHING is possible.

What would make your plc life better/easier?

What about some way to upvote replies to the top of a thread? For example, moving an answer post to be right after the question. Something like what the StackExchange sites do: http://******.stackexchange.com/que...ecide-if-a-b-if-you-only-have-hasha-and-hashb

Or what about a way to either create a stickied section or some other method of creating answers for common questions or areas of interest? For example, Ron has a lot of good posts/replies to people's questions. Perhaps there could be an area that just discusses the intricacies of Logix counters. This way, questions could be diverted to a single location that will hopefully have comprehensive answers already prepared for common questions/issues.

Not sure if this is possible but is there any way that the times on the posts can be changed dynamically to the time zone that you are viewing from, would make things a bit easier to see what's happened and when for us folks on GMT !!

I agree with "The_MSP" that the 300kb limit on attachments needs to be changed. Something like 3Mbwould be more in keeping with modern cameras and smart phones.
+
Speaking of attachments, I have really enjoyed looking at photos of Control Panels and PLC installations that other forum users have sent in...I find the very instructive. Would it be possible to have a link to photo galleries of user pictures? Not every one of course, just ones that would be educational - maybe broken down into a few categories - "Best Control Panels", "Wiring and Termination", etc. And the always popular "Worst panels I have every seen"..

I agree with "The_MSP" that the 300kb limit on attachments needs to be changed. Something like 3Mbwould be more in keeping with modern cameras and smart phones.
+
Speaking of attachments, I have really enjoyed looking at photos of Control Panels and PLC installations that other forum users have sent in...I find the very instructive. Would it be possible to have a link to photo galleries of user pictures? Not every one of course, just ones that would be educational - maybe broken down into a few categories - "Best Control Panels", "Wiring and Termination", etc. And the always popular "Worst panels I have every seen"..
I think there's a thread.
http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=8991