RSLogix5 Remote I/O Diagnostic File interpretation

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I could use some help figuring out the layout of a Remote I/O channel Diagnostic Files in a PLC5 using RSLogix5. I've attached a screen shot of the Channel 1B configuration properties popup. There are several rack adaptors on this channel, varying in size from 1/2 to full rack. I have N53 designated as the Diagnostic File.

What I need to know is how this data is mapped out in the N53 diagnostic file. Specifically, I need to know where the fault bits are for each rack adaptor so that I can monitor and display on an HMI.

I'm sure I knew this info 25 years ago but shame on me for not being able to find it now, LOL! Thanks in advance for your help.

RSLogix5 Channel Configuration Display.JPG

We typically use the processor status file (S2) for rack status (e.g., Fault). Refer to the "Rack" tab on the structured view of S2 for address and bit references.

We typically use the processor status file (S2) for rack status (e.g., Fault). Refer to the "Rack" tab on the structured view of S2 for address and bit references.

Thanks Mispeld. That's what we use currently also. However, this is problematic when there are more than one RIO adaptor for a single logical rack (like rack 6 in the original screen shot - two half racks). Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to distinguish which adaptor is faulted via monitoring S:7/6.

Ron

OK, now I see what you're looking for. Per the referenced manual, I would take it that the fault bit for first half of rack #6 would be N53:12/0, and the second half rack N53:12/2. (Should probably be checked and confirmed.)

Good to know because we just alarm on the whole rack, and this group information would be useful for the PLC-5's still hanging around.

Thanks celichi - this is EXACTLY what I needed! I realize now that I was looking at the Classic PLC5 manual earlier, not the Enhanced PLC5. šŸ™ƒ

P.S. you can add #page=N to PDF links and it will go that that ordinal page number (not necessarily the document-internal page number e.g. if the is a preface with pages i, ii, iii, iv, etc.).

https://literature.rockwellautomatio...-p.pdf#page=93
Thanks drbitboy, that's pretty cool!

Mispeld, I agree with your take & appreciate your input. As so many of the older controls guys leave the industry, I'm finding such knowledge to be indispensable.

Cheers!
Ron

Last edited:
It's a badge of honor, OG! Coming up on 30 years in the field myself, now I'm teaching the young'uns here about octal addressing and conserving memory! :p

Some say there's no fool like an old fool, but ya don't get to be old bein' no fool.

-- Richard Pryor (as his Mudbone character)

-