Nameplate Details to Overspeed a Motor with PF525

Fyfey96

Hi All,

I'm based in the UK and usually when I set up a Powerflex Drive I enter the Motor Nameplate Details from the motor that match our supply here on site. However, we have a pump we require a little more flow from so it has been suggested to run the pump at 60Hz. I have the pump running at 60Hz but should I be updating the motor nameplate details to match a 60Hz supply as the motor has voltages etc for a 60Hz supply and 50Hz supply.

Thanks!
Ally

If it is a centrifugal pump then the current drawn will go up by the speed ^3, so watch how much current is being pulled. Otherwise, yes, use the 60Hz information if you are running it at 60Hz.

If it is a centrifugal pump then the current drawn will go up by the speed ^3, so watch how much current is being pulled. Otherwise, yes, use the 60Hz information if you are running it at 60Hz.

Power goes up as the cube of speed. However, torque and current for a centrifugal load go up with the square of the speed.

As Bryan points out you have two limiting factors. One is motor current, which can be limited by motor FLA or VFD capacity. The drive may have a current limiting function, which will clamp the speed when the current hits a set limit.

The second factor is centrifugal forces on the motor. Running at 60 Hz you should be OK. It is always wise to check with the motor manufacturer, but the attached table has typical values.

I've gone above 60 Hz on centrifugal blower aplications without problems. You just have to watch the details.

Table 8_4 Typical Motor Speed Limits.png