Issues while creating and opening projects

carmstrong

I would like to preface this with I am very much a beginner and know very little about PLCs, but I need to figure out how to get this working. I just recently installed Studio 5000 V30.01.02. I attempted to open an existing project file (V30.00.00) and got this error, "Failed to open file. Cannot overwrite existing project file because its security information is either missing or is inaccessible" (Error code 717-80042082). Furthermore, whenever I try to create a new project I get this error, "Failed to perform Multiple Revision check. 80040154" (Error code 3651-0). So at the moment Logix Designer is useless. I have searched the forum and haven't really found anything exactly like this. I'm not sure if the two issues are related or two separate issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Based on your descriptions, they might not be related. It sounds like the existing project you have open is protected by the original author. We don't use source protection, so I'm not exactly familiar with all of the pitfalls.

For your second issue, try installing:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697

Edit: I take that back, they both are likely related and are supposedly resolved with the link I provided above.

KB: BF15740 and BF4905 (Both are disappointingly TechConnect access level)

Last edited:
Based on your descriptions, they might not be related. It sounds like the existing project you have open is protected by the original author. We don't use source protection, so I'm not exactly familiar with all of the pitfalls.

For your second issue, try installing:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697

Edit: I take that back, they both are likely related and are supposedly resolved with the link I provided above.

KB: BF15740 and BF4905 (Both are disappointingly TechConnect access level)

Wonderful !!! A Microsoft issue that RA knows about, but won't tell you unless you pay $$$ to them ....

Wonderful !!! A Microsoft issue that RA knows about, but won't tell you unless you pay $$$ to them ....

I'd argue that it is a RA issue. If they rely on that service, it's their responsibility to make sure their software works with it. And that it actually installs the darn thing. One of the articles said that the installer should be in the redist directory, which it wasn't in any of the minor revisions that we have downloaded. It seems to me that the software didn't even come with one of the services that it rely's on. My guess is that many of us don't run into this problem because the service came with another major revision.

I'd argue that it is a RA issue. If they rely on that service, it's their responsibility to make sure their software works with it. And that it actually installs the darn thing. One of the articles said that the installer should be in the redist directory, which it wasn't in any of the minor revisions that we have downloaded. It seems to me that the software didn't even come with one of the services that it rely's on. My guess is that many of us don't run into this problem because the service came with another major revision.

Basically you are saying that RA's installers are pretty **** ? Rearrange a common fished for fish there ...

@daba I know how signed DINTs work (no different than unsigned, of course; I am drbitboy, after all ;)), I was only curious if the overflow flag caused the PLC to fault. I think I remember that happening in MicroLogix-land. Ah, see below: the CTU does not trigger a fault, but the ADD will.

xxx.png

Seemingly out of the blue I needed to do this msxml install today on a V28 program that had been opening fine in the morning, but not after lunch. Make sure to use the link in post #12 or find the install file here from your install download: Studio5000-Web\Redist\msxml4

Surely this note on the Microsoft web site is just a coincidence: "IE11 will no longer be accessible after February 14, 2023. You can reload Internet Explorer sites with IE mode in Microsoft Edge."