CompactLogix red flashing OK LED

f16bmathis

I have a CompactLogix 1769-L18ER-BB1B that was power cycled a few times and had a mechanic pull the memory card with power on and re-insert it. At some point the OK LED started flashing and several power cycles have not helped. Our PLC engineer tried connecting through ethernet and said he could not reset it and it lost I/O. I used to be OK with PLC's, but it's been a few years...

The flashing red light means there is a fault in the controller. Cycling power won't necessarily clear the fault. That only works if the controller is configured to reload its program from that memory card on power up.

There is a slide switch on the controller. Change it to PROG, then change to RUN, and then change to PROG again. That will clear the fault. You have to do all three steps in that order.

If the program is still intact, you should be able to go back to RUN again. However, if the condition that caused the fault is still there, it may just fault again.

After this, if you can get online with the controller, you can find the fault code and description. Using this method to clear the fault won't clear out this information.

OG

There is a slide switch on the controller. Change it to PROG, then change to RUN, and then change to PROG again.

OG

We have been trying to go from REM to PROG back thru REM to RUN, then back to REM. No improvement. I also connected my ancient laptop to it using Logix Designer and a USB cable. I think I can see the processor, but it won't let me select "Go Online" when I select the processor under the USB in Communications / Who Active. I'm terrible at communications!

P.S. Thanks for your help. We are Medical making saline and we are down till we can get this going or the new PLC arrives in a few days.

I wouldn't be surprised that the memory card is damaged, you could try replacing it (if another is available).
I did remove the memory card and powered back up again, didn't have a spare. Not sure if it needed the card to power up and do a self test. Before it started doing this, when powering up, all the I/O LEDs would light up in a shift register pattern (one at a time, in a row), now it never gets that far.

We have been trying to go from REM to PROG back thru REM to RUN, then back to REM.

To be clear, what you described is not the same as what I mentioned.

You must go: PROG ==> RUN ==> PROG (clears fault)
You described PROG ==> RUN ==> REMOTE (does nothing)

Maybe you did it correctly after all, and it is just your description that was different.

OG

Do you have a folder "Current App" ?

Also do you have a file load.xml ?
There is a folder named Logix. Inside that folder is a folder called 609067A7, another called CurrentApp, and another called Temp. Inside those folders is nothing. Sorry, the two folders have another folder called NetLinx, with nothing inside them.

I maybe wrong but if you dont have load.xml its just a blank SD card and nothing was stored on it

Our PLC engineer tried connecting through ethernet

Have your PLC Tech connect using USB, its just a A to B USB cable