Multiple RSLinx on network

svetagl

I am wondering if it is ok to run multiple instances of RSLinx on a network with ControlLogix. And if it is can I run RSLinx OEM on one station, RSLinx Gateway on another or RSLinx Professional/SDK on another?
Should versions match too?

Or is it better to have only one RSLinx?

ControlLogix Data Collection with RSLinx manusl says: "We highly recommend having only one RSLinx communicating to any ControlLogix processor, or two if redundant data servers are needed."

[font=&quot]I want to use OPC server. If I have one RSLinx for all communications/applications and another is only for OPC topics/data collection is it ok? Or better to have only one?
[/font]
Appreciate any help.

svetagl said:
I am wondering if it is ok to run multiple instances of RSLinx on a network with ControlLogix. And if it is can I run RSLinx OEM on one station, RSLinx Gateway on another or RSLinx Professional/SDK on another?
Should versions match too?

Or is it better to have only one RSLinx?

ControlLogix Data Collection with RSLinx manusl says: "We highly recommend having only one RSLinx communicating to any ControlLogix processor, or two if redundant data servers are needed."

[font=&quot]I want to use OPC server. If I have one RSLinx for all communications/applications and another is only for OPC topics/data collection is it ok? Or better to have only one?
[/font]
Appreciate any help.

Each RSLinx communicating to the ControlLogix adds overhead to the processor.
Ideally, you can setup your RSLinx Gateway with Ethernet or whatever drivers you want to connect to the ControlLogix processors.
Then have your other instances of RSLinx use the 'Remote Devices via Linx Gateway' driver to communicate to the ControlLogix processors via the RSLinx Gateway.
The advantage is that only one RSLinx instance is talking to the processors at any given time and it reduces communication overhead.

I would agree totally with Automatic's comments. Use the Gateway package to connect to the PLC and "Remote devices via Linx gateway" for your other machines. If the Gateway machine goes down it only takes a minute to set up a temporary Ethernet driver in Linx. I would also look at optimising UDT's for Control Logix in order to get the best performance from Linx.

So if I have RSLinx gateway with an OPC topic congigured and a remote OPC client on another PC connected to RSLinx gateway it is better than if I have one PC with RSLinx for all site/field operations and one PC with RSLinx with OPC topic and OPC client on it?

svetagl said:
So if I have RSLinx gateway with an OPC topic congigured and a remote OPC client on another PC connected to RSLinx gateway it is better than if I have one PC with RSLinx for all site/field operations and one PC with RSLinx with OPC topic and OPC client on it?

What are you using OPC for? What's your magnitude of tags - tens, hundreds, thousandths?

Going through the Gateway will add a small performance lag on the OPC client side.
Having 2 RSLinx connections to ControlLogix will add a small performance overhead to the ControlLogix.

Depending on your application and data needs, you can choose the best method.

svetagl said:
2000 to 5000
I read that OPC tests were done with 5000 but is any known number for OPC tags limit?

What's the application? HMI?
How fast do you need the updates?