Ethernet I/P, VFD to PLC, comm loss indicator on HMI

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Easy, basic question... this is my first time linking 3 ABB vfds to an Allen-Bradley PLC using ethernet IP, and the odva Drive assemblies 123 and 173. If communication is lost to one of the drives, I would like an indicator light to show up on the HMI for that drive. I could come up with a couple of ways to try doing that, maybe with the drive ready bit. This is such a basic need but I would guess there is a best practice for accomplishing this. Any input? I would also want to make sure the controls were disabled if one of the drives loses communication. Seems to me there should be a bit somewhere for that.

What exact model of VFD ? Most VFDs will indicate a fault if the network connection controlling them is lost. Others might need to be configured to turn on a physical output or indicator.

On the PLC side, I regularly use a Get System Variable (GSV) instruction to determine the connection status of a Generic EtherNet/IP Module, which is how you set up I/O adapters on EtherNet/IP with ODVA assembly numbers.

Parsing the 16-bit Module Status value is widely discussed on this forum, and also in the "1756-PM014 Logix 5000 Controllers Major, Minor, and IO Faults" programming manual.

Cheat sheet: the Module Status is in bits 12-15, and the value "4" means the connection is OK.

Vfd: ACS880
PLC: 5069-L306ER
HMI: Panelview Plus 7, 15" standard

What you're saying makes sense, just not sure where to find those tags. It would be easier if I had internet for my laptop... just using limited internet on my phone.

Use a GSV.
Class Name = Module
Instance = Whatever your drive name is, pick from dropdown
Attribute = EntryStatus
Destination = (Create a DINT tag and place it here)

Then do a masked move (MVM)
Source is tag in GSV Destination
Mask = 61440
Destination is a new DINT Tag that you create

Then use an EQU instruction to decide if the module is communicating.

EQU
Source A = MVM Destination Tag
Source B = 16384

if the EQU is true, your device is communicating.

Here is a rung from one of my programs, just double click an empty rung and paste. add tags as needed.

GSV Module SAFETY EntryStatus CommStatusRaw MVM CommStatusRaw 61440 CommStatusMask EQU CommStatusMask 16384 OTE SafetyCommsOK

Good luck!

It works! That was really a great! That was beyond my skill level and I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks to you Travis, and the famous Ken Roach, for responding. ;)

I'm curious now...

I'm still getting used to logix5000. I used it in school 10 years ago. I've been working with different flavors of codesys, and once in a while they'll use some structured text. You said I could cut and paste that instruction into a run. Can you be more specific? If I have a ladder routine, are you saying I can cut and paste all of that into just one rung? I've never seen that, so I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

Create an empty rung. Double click on the left side of the rung (over the rung number) and it will pop up an ascii text entry field at the top of the ladder window. You can copy/paste from here in ASCII form.