FactoryTalk ME issue browsing tags for Inputs Micrologix 1400

Christoo

Hello all,

Long time browser, first time poster.
Thank you all for the great reference you provide with this forum.

I am having very strange issues browsing tags on my Micrologix 1400 with FactoryTalk ME version 10.

When configuring the PanelView Plus Compact 2711PC-T10C4D8 I have setup the shortcuts and got through 95% of the configuration no problem.
My issue is when browsing the tags for the onboard I/O, they are in the PLC and addressed, but the tag browser in the I1 file won't go any higher than I:0.7 even though there are are 15 physical inputs on the card.
I have checked and rechecked in RsLogix 500 and I have the correct base listed.

The PLC is a 1766-L32BXBA Series B
In the short term I can just create a Binary file for for all of the inputs and copy the word, but I would like to know why this is happening?

"If {::[PLC]I:0.7} == 0 Then 1 Else 0" works fine
"If {::[PLC]I:0.10} == 0 Then 1 Else 0" doesn't?

Another thing, (while I am embarrassing myself) should the tag names be visible on a 1400? I get no names just addresses when I browse.

Last edited:
Micrologix tags and FT aren't the best relationship, I just type in all of my addresses manually. If it's your first project it's not fun, but after you do a few similar projects it becomes second nature.

In MicroLogix (and SLC-500 and PLC-2/3/5) controllers, the controller itself only stores the data table type, data table number, and data table values.

Software like RSLinx Enterprise can address data by its symbolic address, like "N10:0" or "I:1:4/07", but it can't access the Symbols or Descriptions. Those are held only in the RSLogix 500 software.

The ControlLogix family has a Tag Database onboard where tagnames are resolved against physical memory. That's why you can "browse tags".

MicroLogix physical I/O addressing and RSLinx have a rocky relationship. RA tried to keep a lot of things identical to the old SLC-500 operating system, but when new engineering teams were brought into the MicroLogix 1100/1400 development program, some stuff about how Input and Output data table addressing should be done was hosed up.

So in these cases, just type in the word or bit address you want to use.

I generally do not address I/O directly in my HMI.