CANOpen heartbeat

Hello
I'm dipping my toe into CANOpen; so far I'm really liking a lot of things about it.
As it's pretty new to me, I'd like to have your opinion on something...
I'm doing some tests with a VSD which has a native CANOpen interface. The drive Produces a Heartbeat message, which means the master can recognise/react if it disappears.
It doesn't however seem to consume a Heartbeat from the master meaning it doesn't know if I've pulled out the cable - drive continues to happily run...
Is this normal for a CANOpen slave? Is it something that some slaves support and some don't? As I've had little exposure, I'm not sure what the norms are.
Thanks team
Pp

Most VSD have a parameter to fault on comms loss.

For example DE11 from Eaton uses P-40 to stop, coast or trip when it doesn't see communication for the time set in P-36.

Cheers mate. With a standard 'polled' protocol we could do just that. This drive uses Modbus too and that facility is available. The nature of CANOpen is that the drive could legitimately not receive a message for ages; that's why Heartbeat consuming by the slave seems a no-brainer. BTW Heartbeat is a CANOpen term rather than a roll-your-own 'tick'
Pp

I have played with CANOpen a little. I remember that all modern slaves send a heartbeat byte. The byte contains the state, on line, booting up etc... There is also a maximum time between bytes to know when something has failed. However, only some slaves can receive heatbeat bytes. The device I was working with did not support the heartbeat receive either. So we set up a hardwired signal to stop on communication loss.

Cheers AustralIan
I think this drive does indeed support nodeguarding; I hear that this is the 'older' method for confirming a node is there, but whatever works. Thanks for getting back to me.

The question was to guage CANOpen norms rather than a specific manufacturer-related query.
Does it help if I say they are Invertek E3 inverters?

The master will be Codesys-based as it's streets ahead of anything else, so I have a few manufacturers to choose from.
Pp