Brain fade. VSD voltage output to motor

HJTRBO

Hi all, having a brain fade moment. I need your help.
I have a inverter duty SEW 6 terminal 230V delta / 400V star motor here wired to a Danfoss drive that is supplied with 415V 3 phase.
I left the motor as found connected in delta and I changed the VSD motor volts parameter of the VSD to 230V.
Is this right? Or should I have wired the motor in star and left the VSD motor volts parameter at 400V?

The safest way is to connect the motor in star for 415V, and set the drive to 415V. I don't know if it will work the other way, but why would you risk it?

You can set the output voltage of the VFD to be less than the supply voltage.
So you can set it to 400V and connect the motor in star.
Since 400V is so close to 415V I dont think you have to reduce the DC bus voltage.

If you set the VFD to output 230V, but leaving it supplied by 415V, then possibly the DC bus voltage exceeds the motors voltage rating.
Apart from that the motor would be fine with delta and 230V, but the VFD would be have to be chosen a bigger size. A VFD is limited by current, not power.

Hi Jesper,

The VSD is happily supplying the current required to run the load. Approximately 7 amps. I did a stall test and the VSD output 9.1A amps before tripping on over current. Motor full load amps is 8.3A

With this additional information do you think I'm ok to keep it how it is?

Edit to the above. Perhaps the drive is not ok. Here is photo of the drive nameplate. The output current does not appear to support a 230V delta connected motor???

20190304_103740 (2).jpg

9.1A over 8.3A is not a lot of extra oomph. It may be enough for you application though.
Did the drive trip to protect the motor, or to protect the drive ?

Like I wrote, you may have to check for that the DC bus voltage is not too high for the motor.
The DC bus voltage is rectified 415VAC, so it becomes approx 590VDC. Even if the 590VDC is chopped to mimic a 230VAC sinus voltage, it is still 590VDC.
On top of that, the chopped voltage is harder on the motor insulation. You write that the SEW motor is for inverter duty so it may not be a problem.

Connecting the motor in star will reduce the voltage over the windings, so I would prefer it in any case, even if the motor is inverter rated.

Edit to the above. Perhaps the drive is not ok. Here is photo of the drive nameplate. The output current does not appear to support a 230V delta connected motor???

edit: Yes you are right the problem is that the current rating is only 4.1A @ 50 Hz. So the nominal current of the motor in delta being 8.3A is a problem.
Because of that, connect the motor in star, the nominal current per phase should drop to 4.8A, so the drive should just barely be able to supply the motor if it is lightly loaded.

Last edited: