ControNET - Adding an additional I/O Module to a Rack that has already been scheduled

shiftedbits

Good Morning,

Let me start by stating that I do not know a great deal about all the intricacies of ControlNet, but I have read and have been reading everything and anything that I can gt my hands on - on the subject. In my quest for factual information, I have been trying to find answeres without any sucess or without conflicting theories. I kneed to know the facts involved here so I can truly serve-up only factual information to the requestor.

First a bit about the Hardware;

CPU - ControlLogix L61 w/Redundancy
NETWORK - ControlNet Media w/Redundancy
I/O - 1794 FLEX I/O throughout the network.

30 Nodes with all FLEX 1794-ACNR15/C modules with "RACK OPTIMIZED CONNECTIONS" for all individual I/O modules.

NETWORK SCHEDULE: 30 NODES S-MAX / 31 Nodes U-MAX / RPI 10MS

Software;
RSLogix 5000 V. 15.61
RSNetworX 7.0
RSLinx Classic (Professional)

System is operating w/o any issues. Customer wanting to add several individual I/O modules. 1794-IA16/A and 1794-OA16/A discrete i/o modules. But wants to know if it can be done WITHOUT RESCHEDULING THE CONTROL NET. Ie. Add the modules to a rack that has several empty slots for I/O modules but the rack has already been scheduled. Objective being to add these modules w/o bringing the system down. Is this possible? I've read that if you do this it would be an direct unscheduled connection? IF it is so, what are the implications of using one module with a direct unscheduled connection and rest of the modules on the same rack with scheduled rackoptimized connections?........along the same lines, I have several questions as well that I've been trying to find answers for myself as well........

Regarding CONTROLNET node scheduling;

A) DO I NEED TO HAVE ALL OF THE I/O MODULES PHYSICALLY PRESENT ON THE RACK??? or, can I just schedule it with only the 1794-ACNR15 module present on the remote rack, but with all individual I/O modules for that rack configured in my RSLogix 5000 projects's I/O config?

B) Can the Rack be scheduled with all 7 I/O modules present on a flex rack and then operated w/o any issues by physicaly removing an I/O module (not currently used in logic), but present on RSLogiX 5000 projects I/O config so It can be added at a later date- w/o rescheduling the network?

Thanks.

Only 1756 type modules can be added online while running

To add 1794 modules you must do it offline and re-schedule network
You can schedule without extra modules.
You need to add modules to I/O configuration offline and download project. USe networx online to schedule network.
Modules that are not present must be inhibited after sheduling

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

I've been looking around for a few hours trying to get an couple hours and this was the closest thing I've found to an answer. I'm running the same software, and I'm currently out at site trying to create a new schedule. However the plant is operating and the moment and when ever I try to save my changes RSlinx try to put the processor into program mode.

Is there a way of saving a new schedule with the 1756 module without having to go off line, and shut the plant down?

Please Advise

Thanks

Is there a way of saving a new schedule with the 1756 module without having to go off line, and shut the plant down?
You don't have to go offline,
For all versions to re-schedule network you need to do it online, but controller needs to be in program mode.

For RSlogix 5000 ver 15 or 16 you can simply add 1756 I/O online while controller in RUN mode using unscheduled bandwith. In this case you will not be using RSnetwox, just add them in I/O configuration correctly.
Again only 1756 I/O can be added.