Allen Bradley Hydraulic Servo Motion Control

Good Morning!
I'm coming a little late to this post! :)
What complex is a migration from 1746-QS to 1756-HYD02?
I have already worked with 1746-QS for a few years.

Hello, I am the one that wrote the firmware for the 1746-QS and much of the 1756-HYD02.

I am assuming you want to use the 1756-HYD02 instead of the 1756-M02AS because you do not want to change the MDT rod.

The 1746-QS uses software written by Delta Computer Systems which is more user friendly than RSLogix because of the graphing capability but in general, both Delta Computer Systems and Rockwell use the same terminology so that helps.

The 1746-QS used G commands to IO ports to make the actuator move. The Control logixs uses a MAM ( Motion Axis Move ) command which is a function block in the RSLogix 5000 code.

The 1746-QS used block move commands or copy commands to move parameters to or from the M-files. The 1756-HYD02 parameters are updated behind the scenes. There are dialog blocks that are use to change the parameters.

I don't think the change would take that long.

If you can, use SSI MDT rods instead of start stop MDT rods.

Leonardo,

I agree with Peter and he is truly the expert..

I have done both platforms and I really like the HYD02 coupled with RSLOGIX 5000.. As Peter indicated, you need to verify compatibility with the rods you are going to use. I have had good success with Balluff but MDT work well too.. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one..

The QS used M files coupled with the IO Image Table.. In regards to the HYD02, you will need to flash the processor and HYD02 card to the latest-compatible firmware version. After doing that, you will need to add a motion group and then add a new axis. Once you schedule the axis, it will appear and be active.. You will need to scale the rod feedback via conversion constant so your length measurement will be correct..The axis will look and feel just like a servo drive.. RSLOGIX 5000 will allow you to construct trends so you can perform tuning... In order to clear a fault on the axis, you can issue a MAFR.. In order to enable the axis, issue a MSO and in order to send a move command, issue a MAM.. The MAM will allow you to pick an S-Curve or Trapezoidal Profile Move.. Also, you can trend position and velocity for tuning..I think that after doing the QS, you will think that the HYD02 is easier to implement.. Once you set them up and get them running, they are really solid cards.. So, good job Peter!!!!

Last edited:
Hello, another one coming in late to this party! I have a hydraulic servo application that my company is quoting. Our supplier is suggesting we use a Delta RMC150 controller, but some of our team found the HYD02 module in a google search and feel we should use that. I feel like from reading this thread that the Delta unit would be better, as they are the ones who wrote the firmware in the HYD02 module.

Peter, I saw that the RMC150 is Ethernet/IP compatible. In the past, we have used these "smart motor" devices that you had to separately program within their own environment and used the PLC to call on the program/basic I/O.

Is the RMC150 like this, or am would my software team be able to program everything from within Studio5000, similar to an AB drive or Linmot controller?

Great topic by the way. Not a lot out there for hydraulic control so it was great to see this thread and the personnel involved.

-Jon

Hello, another one coming in late to this party! I have a hydraulic servo application that my company is quoting. Our supplier is suggesting we use a Delta RMC150 controller, but some of our team found the HYD02 module in a google search and feel we should use that.
The RMC150 is far superior in many ways to the HYD02. If you must used an AB motion module look at the M02AS because it uses SSI Temposonic or Balluff rods. I recommend you use 1 micron SSI rods if you can. The HYD02 can only interface with start stop rods.

I feel like from reading this thread that the Delta unit would be better, as they are the ones who wrote the firmware in the HYD02 module.
I wrote the firmware 20 years ago. Time flies.

Peter, I saw that the RMC150 is Ethernet/IP compatible. In the past, we have used these "smart motor" devices that you had to separately program within their own environment and used the PLC to call on the program/basic I/O.
You can program the RMC150 either way. I really think it is best to use the programming ability on the RMC150 because it is using a sub set of structured text within a state machine. The debugging features of the RMC150 exceed that of any PLC.

Is the RMC150 like this, or am would my software team be able to program everything from within Studio5000, similar to an AB drive or Linmot controller?
You can program everything with the Studio5000 if you want.
The command area looks like old F files on a PLC 5 or SLC 500.
You just read and write to F files.

Great topic by the way. Not a lot out there for hydraulic control so it was great to see this thread and the personnel involved.

-Jon

This is an example of the programming.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/PositionControl/PositionControl.mp4
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/ScanTime.mp4

The videos are old. We have made improvements since then but you will get the idea.

Help me

In my job we have a Rockwell base and we did an upgrade of a hydraulic system from RSLOGIX500 to RSLOGIX5000… Now we have a new problem, the LDT sensor is obsolete and my suppliers do not supply it. Currently I use a BTL5-L1-M0051-K-K15 balluf sensor, it uses gate type pulse signal.
A vendor offers a transducer with a start-stop signal, can it work for me?

In my job we have a Rockwell base and we did an upgrade of a hydraulic system from RSLOGIX500 to RSLOGIX5000… Now we have a new problem, the LDT sensor is obsolete and my suppliers do not supply it. Currently I use a BTL5-L1-M0051-K-K15 balluf sensor, it uses gate type pulse signal.
A vendor offers a transducer with a start-stop signal, can it work for me?
Yes, but use SSI if you can. It provides more resolution.

My first question is
Are you using a CompactLogix or ControlLogix?
The ControlLogix can use either a HyD02 ( Start=Stop ) or M02AS ( SSI ). I would prefer the M02AS with the SSI MDT rods.

If you are using a CompactLogix then you can use a Delta RMC75, RMC200 depending on the number of axes. The compact logix talks to the RMC motion control over Ethernet/IP.
Again, use SSI MDT rods. The Delta RMCs can be bought with SSI or start stop interfaces but again, buy SSI if you can.

Yes, but use SSI if you can. It provides more resolution.

My first question is
Are you using a CompactLogix or ControlLogix?
The ControlLogix can use either a HyD02 ( Start=Stop ) or M02AS ( SSI ). I would prefer the M02AS with the SSI MDT rods.

If you are using a CompactLogix then you can use a Delta RMC75, RMC200 depending on the number of axes. The compact logix talks to the RMC motion control over Ethernet/IP.
Again, use SSI MDT rods. The Delta RMCs can be bought with SSI or start stop interfaces but again, buy SSI if you can.

We have a ControlLogix with HYD02. It´s working. The question is, we can use the diferent sensor? I don have clear, what is difference between gate or start/stop?