PLC Analog IO

andydas

Hi all,
I am a DCS kinda guy so my knowledge in PLC is limited. I need some help. We are upgrading our pneumatic pressure transmitter to digital and tie into the local AB PLC 5 IO system. I was wondering like DCS all the transmitters are getting their power supply (PS) from the DCS IO. I dont want to use seperate 24VDC PS for each transmitters because of space limitations in the PLC IO rack/cabinet. Is there any PLC Analog IO card available which supply power to its field device.
I will really appreciate any reply from the knowledgeable people around here.
Cheers,
Andy Das

It is hard to say about "any" because of the wide variety of PLCs out there. However, you don't need a separate power supply for every transmitter. If you use an adeqautely sized supply you can power all of them with a single power supply. Many PLC I/O cards have a common terminal to tie all of the inputs to the minus side of the poser supply, and you can tie all of the "+" terminals of the sensors to the power supply "+" terminal.

Hi
Make sure that your power supply in your cabinet is adequately
to your transmitters and prepare space for + - terminals
if you useing A-B analog card you have two option.

1.To use in self power transmitters in that case two wires go directly
to the PLC but you have to feed the transmitters from different source.

2.To use local DC power supply but you neet trminal blocks.and you jumper all the - in card.

I hope I help You in clearing the picture.

Andy just like your FIM cards on your DCS that have a powersupply wired to them the same applies to a PLC. The only difference I think is instead having a jumper switch or two different terminals with a common terminal for self or loop powered instruments, I think you select your PLC cards to be self or loop powered analogue inputs, someone else might put that into concrete.

TFC