4 pole triple throw?

In old telephone systems and in pinball machines they did exist.
if it is only to stop i would use a simple relays, as 9Amp is not very much a small H bridge is a good control thing have a look at racing cars, as they use 40 Amp controllers in very small packages.

Isn't this similar to a 3-phase reversing motor contactor set-up ?

Two independent contactors, BUT, with a mechanical interlock between them in case one contactor has its contacts welded shut...

I would have thought the same principle needs to be applied here.

Isn't this similar to a 3-phase reversing motor contactor set-up ?

Two independent contactors, BUT, with a mechanical interlock between them in case one contactor has its contacts welded shut...

I would have thought the same principle needs to be applied here.

Or use one spdt relay as the direction relay and another relay (or SSR) as the on/off. The spdt relay can't be in both positions at one time.
Open/Close
ON/OFF |------|/|
----| |-------|
|-------| |

Or use one spdt relay as the direction relay and another relay (or SSR) as the on/off. The spdt relay can't be in both positions at one time.
Open/Close
ON/OFF |------|/|
----| |-------|
|-------| |

Best suggestion yet... and the direction relay needn't switch the energisation surge current, since it will already be seated. And I would control it so the direction relay can't be energised or de-energised while the main relay is on.

But I'm sure you meant dpst - it's the dt part that the OP is having troubles finding.

Best suggestion yet... and the direction relay needn't switch the energisation surge current, since it will already be seated. And I would control it so the direction relay can't be energised or de-energised while the main relay is on.

But I'm sure you meant dpst - it's the dt part that the OP is having troubles finding.

The direction relay just needs to be single pole double throw. The on/off relay just needs to be single pole single throw. I use a solid state relay for this since it will be pulsed on/off a lot.