Communicate with Profinet device

Peter Quiring

I'm trying to connect an ADAM 6156 PN (16 DO module) to a S7-300 series PLC over profinet. Loaded the GSD file, added the device to the hardware config and setup the output ports it will use (Q4.0 thru Q5.7). Loaded config everything looks ok. I try to use the output bits from my logic but no luck (does anything ever work the first time with siemens?)

Is there any special SFB or SFC that needed to be added to communicate with Profinet devices?

Is there any dianostics for profinet devices in Step7 5.5?

The Adam device has a diagnostic app that let me assign IP address and test it which works fine.

The 343 ethernet module has SF and BF lights when this device is added to the hardware config. So something is not working right. Diagnostic buffer doesn't show anything though. POS!

Thanks.

Last edited:
That was the missing piece, it's working!!!

FYI : I had to add FC11 and FC12 (well in my case FC12 is not needed) in OB1 to communicate with the device.

Here is another useful walkthru:

https://support.industry.siemens.co...or-the-profinet-io-controller-?dti=0&lc=en-WW

With a profinet device you set bits in a DB and these bits and then transfered to the device with FC11. You don't use Q bits at all. Very odd.

Thanks!

FYI : I had to add FC11 and FC12 (well in my case FC12 is not needed) in OB1 to communicate with the device.
FC11 : "PNIO_SEND".
This indirectly tells us that you are using a CP343-1 as the Profinet IO Controller.
With a profinet device you set bits in a DB and these bits and then transfered to the device with FC11. You don't use Q bits at all. Very odd.
The reason is that you are using the I/O image table of the CP343-1, not the I/O image table of the CPU.
PNIO_SEND and PNIO_RECV handles the transfer of data from the CPU to and from the I/O image table of the CP343-1.

If you had used a PN CPU and its onboard interface as PN I/O controller, you would have been using the I/O image table of the CPU directly.

Yes, we are using a CP343-1.
Our CPU is a 317-2DP which doesn't have a PN interface.
So if I were using a PN capable CPU then I would use Q bits directly?