Cognex write to FTP speeds

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to see if anyone else is using this functionality, and if so how fast they are able to execute this command consecutively?

I was tasked with coming up with a test part traceability for one of our processes, and it doesn't seem to work as quickly as I had hoped.

Thanks.

FTP is not designed for speed or data transfer. Its for non travel time sensitive file transfer. What are you trying to do? We can suggest an approach that will work.

Basically on this process the operators are to run the test parts every 8000 parts(once a shift) to make sure the cameras are working correctly, and all the test parts are caught.

An image with a timestamp will serve as the proof that they did their job. I'm relatively new to FTP, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

It seems this can work, but they will have to run the parts in maybe 2 second intervals.

What plc / model are you using?
what cognex system / model are you using?

on our system production was 60 / minute.

we had a cognex camera connected to its digital I/o board.
from there we interfaced to a slc 500
we would trigger the board which triggered the camera and received a pass / fail signal back to the plc typically within 50-150ms.

james

SLC5/04
2x is7000
1x is5100

The cameras work fine in the process as they are setup. This is more about trying to improve traceability to make sure operators are following their instructions.

Images are stored with a timestamp in a directory on a network computer, where we can go back and confirm that the work instructions were followed.

idiot-proofing as its formally called...:oops:

We use Cognex, Datalogic, and Sick but Im still not sure about the details of what you are doing. Sending an image as a read confirmation seems like an inefficient way to accomplish that task. How is a "Good Read" status transmitted to the PLC or controlling system currently? Why not identify the Test Cartons AS Test Cartons in the PLC and then identify that Read Confirmation as "Test Successful".

Update: So you want a visual record of the "Test Carton" to see what mistakes were made setting it up?

Ahh,

so we are inspecting small parts in an indexing belt. This family of parts has 4 variants, and different customers buy each variant. The parts index in groups of 6.

All 4 variants are run through this machine, so we have to be able to distinguish between each one of the 4. This is done with a side profile

Additionally we are checking for contaminants from a previous process. This is done with an overhead camera.

We are also looking for dimensional defects that are unrelated to any of the 4 variants. This is done with an underneath camera

We have about 12 test pieces for each of the variants.

Once the appropriate variant is selected via HMI, the operator has to run the 12 test pieces. We want to confirm that they have run their test parts every time, and we want to have a record of it. After they have run the initial 12 parts they are able to run production. If they stay on that part for multiple batches after switching to that program, then every 8000 they will be prompted to run the test parts again for process verification.

This process produces some amount of scrap, so we have to define exactly when we are running test parts so that we are just getting those specific parts, and saving proofs.

Last edited:
I see. Does the Cognex system you have contain SD-CARD memory storage or another way to store the Images locally? You can use local storage to buffer the images and use FTP to send them over with little concern over transfer speed. Once the images are transferred from Cognex Local storage to Remote Server Storage you can delete them from Cognex.

I will look into that. I have the cameras connected to a visionview panel so I am wondering if I can plug a USB stick into it and store them there. I recall reading something about it.

Honestly the easiest thing to do is call Cognex Tech support and ask for an Applications Engineer and tell them what you want to accomplish.
You are not the first person to need to do this and they will be able to suggest the best way to approach this. Dont be shy in calling Tech support. Many automation suppliers have outstanding support services.

I will look into that. I have the cameras connected to a visionview panel so I am wondering if I can plug a USB stick into it and store them there. I recall reading something about it.