Wood drill and conveyor

GLe

I'm about to start a program for the above mentioned subject.
I'm a "now and then" plc guy so bare with me pls. Was on this site before and had some great help.
My project is fairly simple I suppose but I generally use to many rungs and contacts.
I've yet to start the ladder but some info:
1- Two 5 hp 480 drill motors drilling simultaneously.
2- One 5hp 480 Hydraulic pump motor.
3- One directional ( Up/ Down drill motors)120 vac hydraulic solenoid.
4- One 120 vac hydraulic solenoid for conveyor motor.Operates forward direction only.
5- Start / Stop pb
6- Air PSI sw
7- Jam LS
8- Material presence LS ( actuating drill sequence:
Conveyor stops
Two pneumatic stops raise stopping wood
Drill Motors lower and drill until bottom drill postion LS is engaged.
Drill motors return to Upper LS and "Home position LS" are engaged.
Stops lower.
Conveyor starts again for next piece.
9- Two EM stops ( stops everything )
10-Two "clear" PB's raises motors and stops conveyor.

And that's it.
Is this something for a DRUM?
I plan on using a Clic PLC btw

Hi Gle,

I found our post.

Give a little more detail on how your project is supposed to work.

Also give a little more detail about the following.

#6 Air PSI SW ??? (What is it and what is it supposed to do?)
#7 Jam SW ??? (What is it and what is it supposed to do?)
#10 Two clear PB's (What are these and what are they supposed to do?)

Tell the story of your applications sequence of operation as you would like to see it work, and I am sure members here will help you figure this out.

BCS

Gle & Sparky,

From Gle's description:

#6 Air PS SW, is probably used to indicate if there is system pressure. If not then you cannot actuate the pneumatic stops.
#7 Jam SW. I assume if the conveyor is running, and it has finished the drilling sequence. There is probably a jam timer if the wood is somehow stuck for longer than the timer.
#10 Clear PB's. Raised drill motors, and stop conveyor but do not stop drilling motors. At least that is my assumption until now.

I would like to bring up one important point as well. How are you going to handle if one motor has tripped or is not drilling? You would probably not want the motors to be lowered since one would not be able to drill, correct?

6 Air PSI SW ??? (What is it and what is it supposed to do?)
Air supplies pneumatic stop. "Stops " rise upon conveyor stoppage which holds wood in place. The conveyor has L shape cleats that squares the wood perpendicular to the conveyor.

#7 Jam SW ??? (What is it and what is it supposed to do?
I erred in labeling #7. Should be a "Jam Limit Switch"
It is a cat whisker type that is positioned above the conveyor in case the wood should turn up so to speak becoming higher in profile.
The
#10 Two clear PB's (What are these and what are they supposed to do?)
Should an issue occur, the "clear PB's should stop the conveyor, raise the drilling motors to the up position. A thought here on my part is should the motors stop at this point.
I will clearify this condition

Fredz, I did have thoughts about a drill motor failure. I was thinking of using the aux's on the starters as part of the "process enable" somehow. A motor failure should bring all processes to a halt IMO.
If a motor should fail while in the down position, I was thinking the other should stop, then both raise to the "up" position .

Gle & Sparky,

From Gle's description:

#6 Air PS SW, is probably used to indicate if there is system pressure. If not then you cannot actuate the pneumatic stops.
#7 Jam SW. I assume if the conveyor is running, and it has finished the drilling sequence. There is probably a jam timer if the wood is somehow stuck for longer than the timer.
#10 Clear PB's. Raised drill motors, and stop conveyor but do not stop drilling motors. At least that is my assumption until now.

I would like to bring up one important point as well. How are you going to handle if one motor has tripped or is not drilling? You would probably not want the motors to be lowered since one would not be able to drill, correct?

LOL....I had my "presumptions" of what they should be also.

I was trying to get GLe to give more detail and better describe what it is exactly that he has and what it is he wants to do.

(Parts and I/O list & sequence of operation)

He has asked for help on his project, but I was hoping to get him to post more info openly on the forum, so everyone could "HELP HIM" build up his project, and he could benefit from the collective knowledge and experience of the forum as a whole.
Instead of me just doing it for him via PM.
(Not that I would mind, but he will certainly benefit more working though it openly here.)

Provide more detail Gle,.... get together the info requested above and maybe give an attempt at staring your program so we can see where you are at in your mind set with this.
Post these so we can look and see what you have and what you have done so far. (you can do it on notebook paper even, does not need to be fancy)

Most here are not willing to just write a program for you.....but EVERYONE here, including myself will be happy to assist you in doing it.

Once you get the ball rolling, you will end up with more help than you want. :)

(But not tonight, been 2 very long days and I am going to bed... more tomorrow)

BCS

BCS, Sorry for the condensed reply on the system. I was wrapped up last night watching NC State vs Oregon basketball last night.
I'll be posting later today a better account of the operation
G

One thing to think about is the starting & stopping of the drill motors. The cycle time from cycle to then next cycle could be short, (leave them running) but there could be a lag in product. Maybe let a timer run out and turn them off at that point. I did a project somewhat like this but the drills where air driven up/down.

GLe,

Just read your PM that you are planning to use a Mico 820 for this. :eek:

You will certainly want to seek the help of the forum for that.

I have never used CCW software and for now, I have no desire to start either.
Not discouraging you from using it, always nice to learn something new.

But personally, if I were going to use AB for this, I would pick up a Micrologix 1400.

Unless you have the software already (RSLogix500) its not free for the Micrologix 1400, like Connected Components Workbench is for the Micro 800 line or Automation Directs software for the click that you first said you were going to use.

You can get free software for the Micrologix 1100, but I think that controller will no longer be supported soon. (if it is not already)

BCS

Gle,

I thought clic was already your choice. By the looks of it you are still unsure which plc to use. There aren't many cheap brick plc's with free software. Although a few come to mind. S7-200 programmed with microwin. Phoenix contact has some nice plc's too the 100 series, pc worx starter is free and can be used with the 100. Phoenix contact also offers some nice smart relays which could work for your small application, the software logic+ is also free. Logic+ is also free, and can be simulated without hardware just as pc worx.

There might be a few others. If you aren't willing to pay thousands for programming software then you might want an affordable brick plc with free software and possibly being able to simulate before buying the hardware is always a nice feature to have. The micro 800 series does seem like a nice option as well. Never used them personally though.

Fred

Last edited:
sounds like you have most of your I/o.

start writing sown your sequence.
turn power on.
manually home the machine
goto automatic
start the auto cycle process.
step 1
step 2
don't worry about the I/o at this point, write down the sequence.
now add the I/o.

if you can ask the question what if "X" happens, plan for it.
be sure to add 20% spares, you will forget something.

james

some notes and pics

Some info on the conveyor / drill project.
I questioned about the material positioning on this machine. The pneumatic stops and the conveyor stopping. A timed event?
I was told the the conveyor continued to run and pinched the wood against the stops. Do you know if that is feasible?
The conveyor motor does a adjustment valve on it. It must allow fluid bypass I suppose.

The drill motors you'll notice in the pics have a spring loaded foot clamp that engages upon lowering. I'll attach pics.

The machine's product ( wood) is manually fed onto a conveyor.
1-Wood travels until it contacts a roller LS ( Position )

2-Two pneumatic stops raise on the back side of the wood and conveyor stops.

3-Motor/drill lowers and cuts hole.

4-Motor returns to up / home position. ( wood still in contact with Position LS )

5-Pneumatic stops drop.
6-Conveyor starts for next piece.

My thoughts are to install a ON /OFF pb at the control panel to initiate a "power up"
Performing :
ON- Hyd Mtr conditionally . Air PSI LS ,Pneumatic stops down,Drill motors up, E stops and Jam LS clear. etc.

OFF- Stops Drill mtrs. Returns them to the up position. Drops the pneumatic stops.Conveyor is stopped
Hyd mtr stopped

At the front of the machine install a Start / Stop pb

START - Turns Drill mtrs ON. Turns conveyor ON.

STOP- Turns Drill motors OFF. Raises them to up position. Turns conveyor OFF.

E STOP- all stop

Power source 480 3ph
Motors: all 5hp 3ph. - Hydraulic Motor ( HM ) , two Drill Motors - left and right ( DM left & DM rt )

Inputs that I see are:
1- "ON"
2-"OFF"
3-START
4-STOP
5-AIR PSI LS
6-POSITION LS ( initiates drill sequence )
7-JAM LS whisker initiates same as a "stop' condition
8-DM left up LS
9-DM left down LS
10-DM rt up LS
11-DM rt home LS
12-DM rt down LS
13-DM left ( motor running aux contact)
14-DM rt (motor running aux contact )

Outputs:

1-HM
2-DM left
3-DM rt
4-DM solenoid up
5-DM solenoid down
6-Conveyor solenoid

image.jpeg

You can get free software for the Micrologix 1100, but I think that controller will no longer be supported soon. (if it is not already)

I have not heard of the Micrologix 1100 being unsupported anytime soon and cannot see why it would be. I do believe the Micrologix1000, 1200, and 1500 may be discontinued soon, but I would be inclined to believe the 1100 will be around for as long as the 1400 is.