ControlLogix (RSLogix 5000): Global Constants

More dumb questions from the 'Janitor:

In this program I've been looking through (that I didn't write), I see hard-coded constants which are against my coding religion.

What's the equivalent of a "#define ARRAYSIZE 500" on these PLCs? This program *could've* been written in structured text, but a contractor wrote it in ladder (unfortunately). Do I just have to declared a variable and set it to this value (hoping it never gets accidentally overwritten)?

I create variables and check the 'constant' box. This prevents the logic from changing the value under normal operation.

If I want a constant, I set up a ladder routine for all of them. Within the routine are simple MOV instructions. So instead of Define ArraySize 500, it's MOV 500 ArraySize. Very similar.

I think with the MOV, there is a risk someone accidentally writes a new value to it later on in the program, or a HMI screen somehow thinks it should write a 0 to that value (which would end up with that value true for half a scan). The constant checkbox is the way to go if you want a constant value, although MOV can increase readability.

I think with the MOV, there is a risk someone accidentally writes a new value to it later on in the program, or a HMI screen somehow thinks it should write a 0 to that value (which would end up with that value true for half a scan). The constant checkbox is the way to go if you want a constant value, although MOV can increase readability.

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive...that's in addition to the constant checkbox. And for the purpose you indicate...makes for better readability. It's usually called a setup routine as I do alot of similar work in my industry and just change these constants from job to job.

... and if you set the "constant" checkbox and some rogue index results in a write to this 'constant' value, can the program detect that?

Is there an exception with a 'warning' level, for example?