GE Fanuc 90/30 programming cable

ToddM

Hi Folks...I have just aquired a used GE fanuc 90/30 PLC, I have a programming cable at work but I don't want to have to keep bringing it home to play with. Is it possible to make your own RS232 to SNP converter? Will something else work? I checked over at MrPlc.com, but he hasn't got them. {yet?} Any help would be apprceated.

Thanks and later...Todd

Try this:

Note that it is not approved by GE Fanuc.

9 pin-F 15 pin-M

Rd 2 --------------- 12 SD+(B)

Td 3 --------------- 10 RD+(B')

Sig.Gnd. 5 ---------------- 7 SG

RTS 7 ---| |--- 6 RTS+(B)
CTS 8 ---| |--- 15 CTS+(B')

DTR 4 ---| |--- 8 CTS-(A')
DSR 6 ---| |--- 14 RTS-(A)

Hi Steve...I made a cable at work today, but I didn't have a female 9 pin so I used a "throw away" 9 lead cable with a 9 pin male on the end. {cable comes with an ultra sonic sensor but we usually throw them away 'cause the machine has a cable on it}.I'll pick up a gender bender this weekend and try it out and let you know how it works. This could be the "trifecta" good, fast and cheap.:geek:

Thanks and later....Todd

Cable works, but...

Hi folks....Steve, the cable seems to work great {"You da' man"}
I can run and stop the PLC, change from monitor/online etc. I have configured my rack and my 2 cards {1 input and 1 output} but when I try to "Program display/edit" I get an error.
iviewcapture_date_24_01_2006_time_21_13_23.jpg

Am I doing something out of order? Could it be my operating system {Windows 2K}? I'm also using logicmaster 9.02. If that helps any. Any help would be appreacated.

Thanks and later...Todd

I expect it's an issue of the version of Logicmaster vs the OS. You may need LM90 v 9.05 for compatibility with Win2000. v9.02 dates back to 1998.

If you go offline, can you get to Program display/edit and then go online? If you click 'ignore' what happens? Try going to the GE Fanuc website and look at the release notes for the various LM90 versions. You will need to register and obtain a sign-on ID. The release note is document GFK-0468xx where xx pertains to the specific version. (xx = AA for 9.02)

v9.02 should work OK under Win98 or NT if you have an older computer laying around gathering dust in a dark corner.

Boy...You guys are quick.

Hey Guys...Thanks for the fast response. When I click ignore I get this.
iviewcapture_date_24_01_2006_time_22_00_00.jpg

Russ I tried the zip file but didn't see any results. Is it possible to upgrade to 9.05?

Thanks and later...Todd

P.S. I'll also poke around the GE site, I found the forum there a while back. Steve...You a busy man, dude. Thanks for being here. You too Russ.

I'm up and runnin'

Hi Folks....I got logicmaster 9.05 and I am now able to get online with my processor. I've downloaded Steve's tank simulator from MrPLC.com but when I try to run it I get an error "run time error 8005 Port already open". If I try to start it before I am online with my PLC I get "no resonse from PLC". Is there an order or setting I am missing? Any help would be appreacated.

Thanks and later....Todd

You will have to completely exit Logicmaster back to the very first menu screen (the one where you choose between configuration and programming) in order to let the simultation communicate. Once Logicmaster starts using the COM port it doesn't release it, even if you switch to offline.

Still can't get the tank sim to work.

Hi folks....Still can't get the tank simulator to communicate. I back all the way back to the 1st menu screen or start LM 90 and when I start the tank sim I get "No response from PLC". Could it possibly be my homemade cable? It seems to do everything else just like the real deal. Also....While I'm here, are there any other ways to use a PC to simulate the I/O of a PLC besides a VB app. Something I could do myself{I have VB express but haven't worked with it yet}. I have used Excell at work to monitor the outputs of a PLC via RSLinx but I don't know if you could write to the controller or not.Any help or advice would be welcome and appreaceated.

Thanks and later...Todd

How old is the firmware version in your CPU? In Logicmaster (programming or configuration) go to 'STATUS' (SHIFT + F3), then 'PLC Memory Usage' (F5). Look at the 'Software Revision' field.

The tank fill simulation uses SNPX protocol to communicate. Early versions of the 90-30 firmware didn't implement SNPX; they can only talk SNP.

It looks like SNPX support came out with v4.4 firmware. That was back in 1994.

Thanks for the quick reply Steve....My CPU is a model 331 with a software revision 3.52. Do I have any other options?

Thanks and later...Todd

A flaw in the slaw.

Steve...I recieved my 331 processor in the mail today. Thanks again for upgrading it for me and sending it back so quick. I have been playing with it a little tonight and ran into a problem. I have only one line of code.
LM90RUNG1.jpg

Which should be OK.{I guess?} Anyway when I try to download to the PLC I get this
LM90ERROR.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? I set my I/O configuration to match the I/O points listed in your manual, but that didn't change anything.Please help I'm dying to try these sims. {they look pretty cool BTW}

Thanks and later...Todd