BootP - Windows 10

phuz

I have spent hours trying to search and resolve this, but no luck. With my fairly new laptop running Windows 10 Pro, I cannot use the BootP Utility or the Ethernet/IP Address Commissioning Tool. Both give an error about port 67 being used by svchost. And you can't simply just close the process and try again.

This is hilarious, some application (HP printer utility maybe) installs a BootpServer, or maybe combination DHCP/Bootp, and doesn't tell you.

Please let us know who the culprit is.

I like how the techconnect simply walks you through the Task Manager=>End Process trail: aim barrel; activate slide; pull trigger.

Last edited:
The "solutions" in this tech note are ridiculous, but it's Rockwell so what do you expect.
Solution #3 is to download the latest version of the utility (3.05), which I have done numerous times over the past weeks, and it does not resolve the issue.

I have found that internet connection sharing is enabled in my system and I am unable to disable it without disabling another process first. Again, this is a band aid, not a solution. Wouldn't it be nice if Rockwell would fix this properly?
None of my network connections even have the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" box ticked.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. I saw a recommendation a while back about using Keyence's IP setting tool (it's BootP). However, When I use it, I get the same type of error message about the port being in use.

Luckily, we have one of those handheld IP setting devices from plccable.com (I think) and it works well. Still incredibly frustrating to have to go root around for it rather than using my laptop though.

I wonder if RA's standalone version would fare better? I was at least able to get it to start without that port usage error. https://bootp-dhcp-server.software.informer.com/download/

Surprisingly, that one loads and while I'm not currently sitting at a system trying to assign an IP, I did see a DHCP request come in from something on my network, so I would assume that works. Funny how they have these two newer pieces of software that *should* be compatible with newer operating systems, yet it's the classic BootP utility that seems to work. o_O

Great suggestion, jstolaruk.

Wouldn't it be nice if Rockwell would fix this properly?

I am not sure it is Rockwell's problem to fix.

If port 67 is already allocated to a process on OP's fairly new Windows 10 Pro laptop, it is likely that process is a Bootp server.

So one solution would be to tell that server, if that is possible, what IP address to give to the PLC when the PLC makes a Bootp client request.

TL;DR

IP ports are per-host resources in TCP/IP; there are 65536 of them.

If another server process on OP's laptop has already bound (allocated), and is listening to, port 67, that is OP's problem, not Rockwell's.

Background

Bootp is a client-server protocol using UDP: the PLC in this case is the client, which requests an IP address by broadcasting to UDP port 67 with its MAC address; the OP's fairly new Windows 10 Pro laptop runs a Bootp server process, which binds, and listens, to UDP port 67, maintains a list of which IP address goes with which MAC address, receives the broadcast from which extracts the PLC MAC address, matches (hopefully) the MAC address to its corresponding IP address in the list, and finally sends that IP address to the PLC via its MAC address.

If a server process on the laptop has already bound, and is listening to, port 67 on the laptop, then the resource "port 67" is allocated to that process, and any other process that is started will not be able to allocate that resource when it tries to bind to port 67 on the laptop.

Because if two server processes could be bound to the same port, and a Bootp client request came in, then how could the operating system know to which of the server processes the request should be sent?

Here are the steps a UDP server process, such as a Bootp server, performs:
  1. Create a UDP socket.
  2. Bind the socket to the server address.
  3. Wait until the datagram packet arrives from the client.
  4. Process the datagram packet and send a reply to the client.
  5. Go back to Step 3.
Cf. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/udp-server-client-implementation-c/

I have found that internet connection sharing is enabled in my system
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is a Windows service that enables one Internet-connected computer to share its Internet connection with other computers on a local area network (LAN). The computer that shares its Internet connection serves as a gateway device, meaning that all traffic between other computers and the Internet go through this computer. ICS provides Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and network address translation (NAT) services for the LAN computers.

Cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Connection_Sharing
So, that DHCP service may be what is using port 67, and stopping any other Bootp server from binding to port 67.

Is it possible to disable ICS briefly to allow a separate Bootp server to assign the IP address to the PLC, then stop that Bootp server and restart ICS?

Hey guys, this ended up fixing it for me:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-sharing/b01e1ebc-4f9d-4bf6-8d15-37a782fa03ff

TL;DR
Stop the Host Network Service and the Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) in that order. After I did that, BootP works.

Yes, but I call that a band-aid solution. I don't know why this problem would be unique to my laptop. This is a Windows 10 thing where it's running ICS for some reason, and you can't disable it unless you stop the host network service. If I'm unique in this, then I'll stand down.

ICS is a service that I found was set to manually start in my system. But what is starting it? That HP printer utility/driver mentioned before? I have it on my computer and I know that HP has been guilty of shifty practices.

ICS is a service that I found was set to manually start in my system. But what is starting it? That HP printer utility/driver mentioned before? I have it on my computer and I know that HP has been guilty of shifty practices.

Mine is also manual, but starts with a trigger, and I have no idea what that trigger is. I have no HP print utilities or anything like that.

Yes, but I call that a band-aid solution. I don't know why this problem would be unique to my laptop. This is a Windows 10 thing where it's running ICS for some reason, and you can't disable it unless you stop the host network service. If I'm unique in this, then I'll stand down.

Maybe it was an update to Windows 10? I'm like 99.9% sure that BootP used to work on my Windows 10 laptop, then one day it stopped working.