5/03 to 900 Panel View

Motorhead

I'm trying to talk to a Ab 900 Panel View thru a AB 5/03. I'm talking to the 5/03 via RS232(Channel 0) but can't see the Panel View connected to the the DH485 port(Channel 1). I have the port set up as DH485, 19200 Baud, Node 1, Passthru link ID is 2. The Panel View is set up with the same settings and is communicating to the 5/03. The DH485 light is on (on the 5/03) and there is no communication fault on the Panel View.

What am I doing wrong?

Gary

I think the only way to "pass through" an SLC-5/03 is for the Channel 0 port to be set for DF1 Full Duplex, and for the DF1 Passthrough bits to be set in the Status file.

If you have both ports set up as DH485, I don't think that DH485 has the "internetwork" concept and will allow you to bridge between them.

Is your Channel 0 serial port set up as DF1 Full Duplex mode or as DH485 mode ?

I think you have to set the following Status bits:

S:34/0 = 1 DH485 Passthrough Disabled (1= Enabled)
S:34/5 = 1 DF1 Passthrough Enabled (1= Enabled)
S:34/6 = 1 DH485 Local/Remote ( 1=Remote)

You may need to set the Status file to Binary radix to set S:34/6.

This doesn't work on all SLC-5/03 firmware; you need OS302 Series C FRN 7 or better, according to a technote I found on the RA Knowledgebase. RSLinx 2.42 or newer is required.

Passthrough Link ID's on each channel must be different.

I've heard of mixed results using this method, particularly with very old versions of PanelBuilder. S:34/6 needs to be 1 for Remote Addressing, which a PanelView upload/download would need, while it needs to be 0 for Local addressing if you are trying to connect to another SLC.

Don't forget to set your DF1 driver for 1770-KF3/KE device type so it will try to browse different nodes.

Seeing how tricky it is to set this up makes you appreciate the bridging capablities of ControlLogix and the CIP protocol.

I changed those bits but it didn't help.

My RSLinx is 2.50 so that isn't the issue.

How do I find what frimware i have on 5/03?

I can't find that driver, I'm using AB_DF1-1 DH485 driver and it is browsing for differant nodes.

You need to change the Device Type inside the DF1 Full Duplex driver configuration in RSLinx.

The correct (and often auto-detected) device type will be "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView". To browse through a "Pass-Through" connection to DH485 or DH+, the DF1 Full Duplex driver's Device Type needs to be set to "1770-KF3/1747-KE".

The SLC firmware revision at production time is on the sticker on the right side of the CPU, but of course if it's operating or has been upgraded since it was produced, you'll find the firmware revision online in RSLogix 500 in the Status file, under the "Proc" tab.

Using this route of DF1 to DH485 passthrough is a lot of hassle for little gain. If you are trying to upload/download an application you will go further faster by getting your hands on a CompactFlash card in a Type II PCMCIA holder and using that to transfer the application file. Because of the age of these platforms, there are hitches; you need Firmware v3 or better in the PanelView to support "ATA" style memory cards, and usually you need a card of 2 GB or less formatted in FAT16 style.

The Totally Successful No-Fail mechanism to access this PanelView is the USB to DH485 interface, 1747-UIC.