Upgrading to SP4 on Siemens Step 7, v5.5. Is there a cost?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Such a basic Siemens question, but I don't know who to ask. I have a customer who needs help with a Siemens S7-300. They have a tech in Italy dialing into their machine, but need someone on-site to help with issues. I have a laptop I inherited from another tech with Simantic Manager, and Step 7, v5.5, SP1. The tech in Italy said I'd need Step 7, v5.5, SP4. I don't have a Siemens service contract... am I able to upgrade to SP4 without a contract?

I have more AB experience than Siemens, but I have helped a couple of my customers out with the diagnostic feature in the Step 7 software (using a CP5711 to connect). I haven't used it for a while, however, and I'm trying to shake some cobwebs out of my brain today. The service pack issue could be a big hurdle if I can't get it without forking out a bunch of money.

Thanks for any advise.

Siemens doesn't charge for service packs or updates (which are basically just bug fixes). The downloads are free, but you usually need to register and pass an export check, promise not to give the software to terrorists, etc.

You will probably have to pay to upgrade to go from 5.5 to 5.6, whenever that comes out.