Allen Bradley PLC 5/15

shandra_ck

Hi all,

I am very new to Allen Bradley PLC. Previously worked on Siemens PLC. I am trying to establish communication between Allen Bradley PLC 5/15 and Siemens OP 7.

I am using Protool CS.

I have the printed copy of RS Logix 5. How do I represent the tags in Protool.

What is the file type, file number and element represented in Protool (In the tag creation page)? compared to step 7?

Please explain the following:

1) N7:18

2) B3
--()--

Thank you. I really hope someone can help me to sort this.

Regards,

Shandra

Last edited:
Hi Shandra.

The first address is really N7:18/10. In other words, File N7, word 18, bit 10 (decimal count).
In Protool that tag would be defined like this: Type = Bit, File type = N, File number = 7, Element = 18, Bit number = 10.

The second address is really B3/60. In other words file B3, bit 60.
It can also be displayed as B3:3/10. In other words file B3, word 3, bit 10.
In Protool that tag would be defined like this: Type = Bit, File type = B, File number = 3, Element = 3, Bit number = 10.

To make it a little bit clearer for you, in RSLogix5 set View .. Properties .. Address display tab .. Bit address format = Single line, and .. Binary bit dislay mode = Word/Bit.

In PLC5, digital inputs and outputs counts octally. F.ex. the addresses of a 16 point input card can be I:1/0 .. I:1/7 + I:1/10 .. I:1/17. The confusing part is that the memory addresses counts decimally.

Other useful Protool tag types:
An integer (example): Type = INT, File type = N, File number = 7, Element = 19.
A timer setpoint (example): Type = INT, File type = T, File number = 4, Element = 0, Subelement = PRE.
A timer actual value (example): Type = INT, File type = T, File number = 4, Element = 0, Subelement = ACC.

Hey shandra !

Are you sure that you have a PLC5-15 ?
If it really is a "classical" PLC-5 (like a PLC5-15) and not an "enhanced" one (like a PLC5-20), then it doesnt have a serial port.
There is a port that looks like a 9-pin RS232 port, but it is really a Datahighway Plus port.
You may find it very difficult to connect your OP7 to that PLC5 !

Thanks Jesper.

Now I am able to configure the tags.
My other problem is the connection to the OP7 to PLC 5. Do you have any idea on this connection? At first I thought it was the normal RS 232 port.

Thank you.

Regards,

Shandra

Shandra,

if the PLC5 is a PLC5/15 (as you stated before) then you are practically stuck. The PLC5/15 has a DH+ port and a RIO port, thats it.
The DH+ port can be connected via a 3-pin Phoenix socket, or a 9-pin D-shell socket. The 9-pin D-shell socket is not a regular RS232 serial port !
Your OP7 can connect via DF1 protocol or DH485 protocol, but not via DH+ or RIO.

Your options:
1. Exchange the "classic" PLC5/15 with an "enhanced" (minimum PLC5/20). An enhanced PLC5 has a serial port (channel 0). Use the description in the previous thread on how to connect it.
2. Use a KF2 box to bridge DF1 and DH+ networks.
3. Use an operator panel that has native support for DH+.

In any way, it is going to cost you some money :(

edit: This is the cheapest OP panel with native DH+ support: EZTouch

Last edited:
let the buyer beware ...

Exchange the "classic" PLC5/15 with an "enhanced" (minimum PLC5/20).

but NOT a PLC-5/25 ... this one (despite the higher-than-20 number) is still a "classic" ... so why did Allen-Bradley skip around with the numbers? ... who knows? ... note that the "classics" are usually much cheaper on E-bay ... people often snap them up for "trainers" and then find out too late that the DH+ communications gear required is MUCH more expensive than the amount they saved on the "cheaper" processor ...

this post tells more of the story ...

PLC 5/15 with Siemens OP 7

Thanks Jesper and Ron.

I am checking on the options that you gave - for a converter or adapter.
Do you have any information on the wire configuration. Can I make the cable by myself. I use to make the RS 232 cables and others. I am unable to get the information on the wiring, Still searching in the net.

Thank you again

Regards,

Shandra

Shandra.

The KF2 box i mentioned before is VERY expensive, and to go from the OP7 via serial to the KF2, and then from the KF2 via DH+ to the PLC5/15 is a cludge. It is not a good solution.

If you have an enhanced PLC5 with a genuine serial port (called channel 0 on enhanced PLC5s), then simply use the cable description from the other thread.

Forget about trying to make your own cable/converter between OP7 and PLC5/15. DH+ is ABs proprietary standard and there is NO simple way to make it by one self.

Your options are to exchange PLC5/15 for an enhanced PLC5, or to use an operator panel with native DH+ support.

Hi Jesper.

Thanks a lot for the guide.

I can't change or upgrade the PLC 5. I am checking on the Box KF1 and the pricing.

Haven't decided yet.

Regards,

Shandra

Protool alarms with PLC 5/15

Hi,

I need some guide on adding the alarm to the OP7 that links with PLC 5/15. In the alarm messages, once I add the message and link to the tag, what should I put in the area pointer?

Any manual on Protool with OP7?

Is there any specific configuration in PLC 5/15 that suppose to be linked with OP7? (to set in area pointer?)

Please advice.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shandra

THIS thread will tell you everything.
The example is with an S7 PLC, but it works basically the same with an AB PLC.
Also look in the help text in Protool about alarms and area pointers.

But I am curious how you are going to crack this nut with keeping your OP17, and without exchanging the PLC5/15 CPU. :unsure:

In RS Logix 5, (PLC 5/15), I do understand that T represent the timer.

Is it possible to use it as a bit to display message.
Eg: T4:56
]/[
DN

PLEASE ADVICE.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shandra

Assuming that you have setup an area pointer for the message area starting with N9:0/0, then to display the first message on the OP you have to set that bit HIGH.

From you own example. Will display the message as long as the timer isnt finished:
T4:56/DN                N9:0/0
---|/|-------------------()

A little bit better (maybe). Will display the message as long as the timer is running.:
T4:56/TT                N9:0/0
---| |-------------------()

If you are after displaying alarm messages then use the example from the previous thread.

Protool area pointers

Hi,

Additional questions on area pointers in Protool Cs (OP 7).

I add the alarm messages to the "Messages" option.

In the area pointer, what is the alarm messages address referring to?

Is it according to the alarm bit configured in the alarm message in "Message " option , or is there any separate signal needed from PLC?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shandra