FactoryTalk ME, Visibility Animation controlled by IP Address?

sthays10

Hi All,

Our FT View ME application has 2 PV+ 1000's and a SLC-5/05 processor. One of the PVs will be used as a remote viewing terminal, one will be used as the control terminal. I want to eliminate the ability to start the pumps from the remote terminal.

My first thought was to password protect the terminal, which I will do anyway, and make the visibility of the start button restricted to access level A. The problem with this is the operators will who will start the pumps at the pump house will also be the ones viewing the remote terminal.

Is there any way I can assign visibility to an IP address or node number, or any way I can send part or all of the IP address of the HMI terminal back to the PLC to set a visibility bit?

Any help is appreciated - thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Steve

Hmm. I can't think of a way to use the IP address of your PV+ terminal directly in the application.

See if the Diagnostic Items folder in RSLinx Enterprise has the @DPServer pre-defined item for the SLC-5/05. It's supposed to be supported both in the LogixDP and in the LegacyDP data providers but I'm only finding it for Logix controllers in my installation of FTView Studio 5.10 and RSLinx Enterprise

That will return the Client Name that's running RSLinx Enterprise. On my test PC, that's the name of my computer. On the terminal, it should be the Host Name of the PanelView Plus.

Thanks for the reply, Ken. I don't see the diagnostic folder under RSLinx in FTView 5.1 (Build 9). All i have under RsLinxEnterprise is Communication Setup.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

You'll see the Diagnostics folder when you use the Tag Browser.

You first have to define a Shortcut using the RSLinx Enterprise Configuration applet.

When you open the tag browser (usually from the Connections tab of a display object), each RSLinx Enterprise shortcut will have a Diagnostics folder, an Offline folder, and an Online folder. You may have to perform a 'Refresh Folder' action.

Don't make it hard. Remove the start buttons and make it a different app for that panel.

If you have not purchased hardware yet the new pv plus 6 units come with a sinle factory talk viewpoint license and you could use a small versaview panel pc for the second read only display. FT Viewpoint is read only to the panelview

If it was simple, what would I do all day ?

tPLCk's correct, of course. It would be simpler and faster to just delete the command buttons and make another runtime.

Ken - there is no @DPServer in my list. There is a @DevicePath, but that only shows the path to the PLC.

PLCKid - I was hoping to avoid that. My last company used InTouch (and i know FTView ME != Intouch, but it's my most recent comparison point) and we used IPAddress to pass primary control back and forth between two thin clients on a server. I know it's different since ME is pretty much just a display terminal, but I am still in that mode of thinking.

But absent an easy way to do this, if they want to disable control, I'll just delete the buttons.

Thanks a lot for the help - much appreciated.

Steve