Micro850/Allen Bradley CCW, HSC function faulting out controller

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm having major issues programming the high speed counter function on the Micro 850. I have no more avenues to pursue... I've tried everything I can think of. For the last day, I've tried using the example in the documentation to create a HSC. I followed it line-for-line, changing safe variables slightly, like mode and limits, assigning HP, LP, OF, and UF to 1200, -1200, 1500, and -1500 respectively. I can't make this work, and I can't afford any more wasted time trying to get it to function.

Here is a brief synopsis of several days of working with the Micro850

1. The HSC module works, but not with the MODE in need for this application. I downloaded the UDFB and got it to work nicely, but it only works in mode 0,2,4,6 (no odd numbers). I tried programming it in MODE 0, but I need to insert the value for HP, and then reset the Accumulated Value after each cut. I found that I needed MODE 3. For MODE 3, I need to use the embedded I/O, and the HSC function. I can not use the HSC module for MODE 3.

2. I can't get the controller to work using the HSC function in the embedded I/O. I'm using input 0, and I can see the encoder working with the input lights. But the controller faults out immediately when I download and run a very basic HSC function in a ladder. The fault is a HSC config fault. The attachments to this message show the pertinent information. I'm using the example in the documentation to create a HSC. I've tried everything I can think of. I can't get this fault to clear.

At this point, I believe it's a software bug. My customer is frustrated with me and I can't get past this issue. I've lost several days now, making this PLC not as affordable as it seemed in the beginning.

Can anybody see anything I'm missing?

Thanks,
Brian

PLSMismatch.jpg Fault.png FaultLog.png HSC-compare.jpg

Since that is a PLS, It is probably expecting an array of setpoints.
Try defining your PLS as an array with even just one element ( [1..1] ).
Then reference the base of the array just by name (no subscript).

Try defining your PLS as an array with even just one element ( [1..1] ).
Then reference the base of the array just by name (no subscript).

This is my first time with CCW... I'm getting stuck on the mechanics of how and where to do that....

MyPLC [1..1] doesn't work
PLC [1..1] doesn't work

Can you explain more?

No, it wouldn't. You were defining "MyPLS".

In your variables, define "MyPLS" as "PLS" and dimensions of [1..5]

Then for the PLS input to the instruction, just type the base tag, "MyPLS", without a dimension. You want to pass the entire array, not a single element.

Thanks for the info! Yes, dimension was the problem. I've attached a picture from the example in the CCW documentation for future reference.

My HSC works great. I used the #0 input for the encoder signal, #2 input for the accumulated count reset, which is attached to a NO terminal on the cube relay for the shear solenoid. I needed to control the "on" time for the shear, which varies depending on material thickness. So instead of using the normal HP output, I used a bit in the "info" variables, "HPReached", along with a TOF, which can be manually set for different cut times.

CCWHSC.jpg

Did you use an interrupt? Can you share your program or how did you configure your HSC?

Sorry, it's been almost two years... I don't remember the specifics, and the program is not accessible. All I know is the last post I made had the solution to the problem, so that I, and others, can look it up if it happens again.