Rsnetworx for Devicenet

SNK

Hi all.

Has anyone used RSNETWORX for DEVICENET recently?
I am attempting to upload the device EDS and information about my devicenet network and I cannot seem to get online with the devicenent scanner located in a SCL 5/05 rack.
I am using RSLINX to communicate through a ethernet switch, and can establish comms with the SLC and the PV on the network at two different node addresses (IP's). As far as I remember, I should be able to see the scanner if I expand or drill down into the SLC chassis from Rslinx.
The problem is....I can't.
In RSNETWORX for Devicenet, if you go online, it basically brings up the Rslinx window of the path that has already been established...I guess using Rslinx as a porthole to the scanner. Well, because I cannot see the scanner, I cannot accept the communication changes to upload from the scanner....so I cannot see or change my network.
Are there any suggestions???

BTW, I am using win2K, 5.21 Rslogix500, and I cannot remember the version of Rsnetworx.

When I used DeviceNet I had to use a 1770-KFD interface to connect to the DeviceNet network. I may be wrong but I dont think you can go thru the SLC and view the devicenet network.
http://www.ab.com/manuals/cn/177056.pdf

The first thing you want to do is commission each device...ie setup addressing etc. The quick start guide explains this.

SLC will not let you to bridge from Ethernet to Devicenet to configure it.
You must be on the DeviceNet network with 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD

ControlLogix will let you bridge. But PLC5 and SLC will not.

Have a look at using the devicenet pass through driver, this should get you onto the network.

If you need more help e-mail me

kevin

Kevin Combes pointed it out correctly; the 1771-SDN and 1747-SDN have specific "passthrough" drivers that you configure in RSLinx.

Instead of "drilling down" from your Ethernet driver like you can with Logix, the 1747SDNPT driver is configured for a particular access path to the SLC, then for a specific scanner in the SLC chassis.

There are a couple of gotchas to configuring that driver.

1. You need to expand the M-files to at least 361 words in length (for the minimum 4.015 firmware revision of 1747-SDN). You can expand them to as large as 395 words for version 6.x of the 1747-SDN (this acommodates large PV downloads).

2. You must go from Program to RUN mode at least once after configuring the passthrough driver.

The 1747-SDNPT is very slow compared even to the 1770-KFD. I strongly prefer my 1784-PCD card, but then I work on DeviceNets every day.

Thanks for the help guys

I did see the Devicenet Passthrough driver...but have not used it before.

I will attempt it on Monday. (the passthrough driver)

I am getting mixed signals from the group. I was led to beleive that I don't need any extra hardware when using Ethernet. Am I wrong??
In the OLD DAYS....yeah, you needed a special DeviceNet card like the KFD-1770 in your laptop...but apparently not in RSNETWORX for DEVICENET. Progs like Devicenet Manager are old. I am try to find out further information as we speak.....

Thanks for the replies so far!

Listen to what Ken said. I have only dealt with 2 identical systems....basically one instance using DeviceNet. I didnt have Ethernet involved so it wasnt an option. I had to use the 1770-KFD to go on DeviceNet.bb

I have finally resolved the situation. Yes, you can connect directly through the SDN card using ethernet communication with the SLC5/05 as I suspected.

The way you do it is connect to the SLC through ethernet using the Ethernet driver in RSLINX. Also configure the driver called DEVICENET Devices, click on the card that you want to browse, and apply. Then, in RSNETWORX for DEVICENET, simply click on the ONLINE button, and the RSLINX window will pop up, asking you where you want to browse. Drill down into the Ethernet Processor communications that is running and you will see the DeviceNet Scanner card. Click OK, and there you are.

Finally.

Thanks for all of the help people.