FactoryTalk View Studio ME RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut Issue

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
FactoryTalk View Studio ME
Ver 5.10.00 CPR 9 SR 2

I have been completely unsuccessful at getting the ShortCut definer in Communication Setup to Verify my file.

After I create the shortcut and assign the ACD file and hit verify I get.

Shortcut 'L23E':
- Note: No path to Design device is assigned.
- Offline tag file assigned and file found on workstation.
- Warning: No path to Runtime device is assigned.

When I hit the Copy from Design Time to Runtime button it says

"Select a different Path -- M6500XP cannot be used."

When I create a runtime file it says

*** Start RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***
WARNING: Unconfigured shortcut detected. Shortcut name = "L23E". Description: The system has detected that the noted shortcut has not been associated with a device on the Runtime (Target) tab. If the application makes use of this shortcut, then runtime errors will be detected and logged when the application attempts to use that shortcut.
*** End RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***
Validation completed with warnings. The runtime application has been created.
CAUTION: Running this application might produce errors at runtime.

After about 4+ hours I am at a loss.

I should also add that I do in fact see the tags (they are available) from the ACD file when I am assigning tags to devices.

Last edited:
In addition to the local file the method for the runtime executable to communicate to the target PLC must be defined. You do not have to be actually connected to the target PLC at this time but the path that the final executable will use must be defined. This can be done in the right hand pane, even in the 'Design' window. If needed right click and add the communication type. Under it right click and add the actual device. Even if it is not the final configuration, save it then transfer it to the runtime. You can always change it later. Though it is much easier if you can be connected to the PLC at design time.

Hi Bernie,
I'm not certain what you mean by "This can be done in the right hand pane, even in the 'Design' window". Not certain where you are saying I should be right clicking.
I was always under the impression that when I assigned an ACD file to a shortcut that it derived the path from that file.
This is a panelview compact and will ultimately connect to an L23E via ethernet IP. We have already done several of these systems, and each one has been modified a bit from the last. For some reason, I just can't this one to work.

Thanks

Are you wanting to see the .ACD file on your computer or do you want to connect to the controller?

If you don't have access to the correct path for the PLC now, You'll have to build the runtime path yourself.
If that .acd file is using something the PV doesn't support, like a pcmcia card, It can't build the Runtime path from it.

If you don't have access to the correct path for the PLC now, You'll have to build the runtime path yourself.
If that .acd file is using something the PV doesn't support, like a pcmcia card, It can't build the Runtime path from it.

I do have access to the correct path.

How do I "build" the runtime path myself?

The ACD is just using Ethernet. Everything on this system in Ethernet. This system is a copy of a system that already works on previous machines, using the same hardware, software, PCs, etc.

In your design path, Can you browse to the PLC via Ethernet right now? If so, Assign that to the L23E shortcut you created and hit apply. Then transfer from design to runtime.

In your design path, Can you browse to the PLC via Ethernet right now? If so, Assign that to the L23E shortcut you created and hit apply. Then transfer from design to runtime.

Ok. Mystery solved.

I did a re-install of FTView.

I now get the browse window like I am supposed to.

The problem was that the browse window was all greyed out and blank before.

Thanks for everyone's help!

In the same vein of this conversation, I have a problem that is the same. However, my browse button is ok, and I have the program I want to get tags from on my desktop, and I point directly to it, and I always gives me the same thing, the apply button never lights up for me to apply it. When I do a verify, I get the following error....
Note: No path to Design device is assigned.
- Offline tag file assigned and file found on workstation.
- Warning: No path to Runtime device is assigned.
I have one PLC in there, I am trying to add another to get tags off of different compressors. It is driving me crazy. All Ethernet.