Connected Components Workbench Help

DeltaU11

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and fairly new to PLC programming and had a quick question that I hope someone has some suggestions about.

My company has just recently started using AB plcs to run some of our machinery and has put the task on me to learn about the programming. Being a civil engineer this is a whole new world to me. We had been using RSLogix500 for programming until the other week we went to the new Micro800 controllers with the Connected Components Workbench software. Compared to RSLogix, Connected Components is nothing alike to me.

So back to my question, does anyone understand the counters in Connected Components? I am looking to somehow reset all of my counters in my program at power-up before a Start relay is latched. I am able to reset the counters once in the program to allow for a continuous cycle but have not been able to figure out how to reset the counters with more than one input in the reset block. If anyone has any help or suggestions where to look for the answer I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I am not familiar with workbench but one way to have multiple inputs is to use an OR block (this Or this Or this can reset the counter)
Hope this helps

Thank you for the reply. I understand the or command and would love to be able to use it in this situation. The problem with this connected components workbench software is that the counter is basically a small function block. When all the inputs are true on the left side of the block the counter will count up. There are then 2 inputs and 1 output on the block. The output is when the counter is done. The first input is the preset value and then the second input is the reset and you can chose a variable that when true will reset the counter. I added a picture to hopefully help explain. In RSLogix I was able to use the counter (RES) command and multiple inputs to reset the counter. The problem I am having with Connected Components workbench is having multiple inputs on the reset block, or using its boolean tag elsewhere in the program. Sorry if any of that doesn't make sense. From what I have read this is a very new software that does not have much information out yet and varies greatly from all other AB products. If anyone has any experience with the software I'd appreciate the help.

CCW-COUNTER.jpg

Hello,

"When all the inputs are true on the left side of the block the counter will count up."

That is not what the help file indicates. It reads reset is true to reset the counter. But, I would bet it is edge triggered.

Just a guess.

I have used CCW but not counters.

Also I 'think' a PV of 1 would limit the counter to 1. From the help file PV = "Programmed maximum value"

I could be all wet. ;)

The counters work fine as they should, so I'm not having a problem as far as that goes. My problem is that on that counter block, it only lets me input one reset variable. I'm trying to reset the counter in two different ways, once at start up and again when the actual program begins to run, but I can't seem to figure it out. In RSLogix500 there is a (RES) output for counters and timers that you are able to use and reset them whenever an input comes true. With this new Connected Components Workbench software though, I haven't been able to figure it out. Does anyone else know more about the Connected Components Workbench software?

I would try putting a generic tag in the “reset” block and have it triggered by either the “cycle_dn.q” tag and/or a tag that gets set on start up.
Welcome to CCW Hell!!!

Hello,

1) Create a global tag and name it 'FirstScanPulse'.
2) Look at the picture below.

You see that if the 'FirstScanPulse' is true it jumps around the code.
If 'FirstScanPulse' is false it sets it to true with the (S).

3) In your logic for the counter reset place 'FirstScanPulse' with a NOT gate in to an OR gate. The other input leg of the OR gate has your reset command and the output of the OR gate connects to the reset of the counter.

Put this logic at the end of the program/project. (Minus the logic you do not need.)

So, on the first scan 'FirstScanPulse' will be false and it will be true every other scan.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, all the replies definitely pointed me in the right direction and I was able to get it figured out for the program. And I couldn't have said it better myself Firejo, it is CCW hell. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Hello,

1) Create a global tag and name it 'FirstScanPulse'.
2) Look at the picture below.
. . .
Put this logic at the end of the program/project. (Minus the logic you do not need.)
I hope Delta got something out of that. For me is was as useful as teats on a boar hog.

Hello,

Why, do you not understand the logic? Never used CCW?

Are you referring to the last line in your quote?

>Put this logic at the end of the program/project.

If at the end of the program all the logic before this code will be able to use the pulse for the first scan.

>(Minus the logic you do not need.)

If you look in the logic example, I doubt he has a Gas Gun, Gas Valve or Boiler Load variable that needs to be set on the first scan.

Some other confusion?

Why, do you not understand the logic?
I understood the ill-logic, but do not see how it could be relevant to the question. It appears to be about using a first-scan pulse to jump around some code. How did tha apply to the question about CCW counters? Now if you rewrote it to answer the question about counters, maybe including a counter, it might be helpful.

Last edited:
Hello,

If you had fully read the messages from the OP he needed two things.

"I'm trying to reset the counter in two different ways, once at start up and again when the actual program begins to run, but I can't seem to figure it out."

1) A first scan pulse. CCW does not have one.
2) A way to reset the counter with the first scan pulse and another input.

The logic example displayed a method to create a first scan pulse in CCW. It was a copy and paste from a working program.

The third item in my answer "3)" said how to connect it to the counter.

The data I gave is sound, will work and the OP did not state he had any trouble with it.

Rhetorical, your complaint/snarky comment at my answer to the OP contributed to this thread how?

I am looking to somehow reset all of my counters in my program at power-up before a Start relay is latched.
I'm trying to reset the counter in two different ways, once at start up and again when the actual program begins to run, but I can't seem to figure it out.
Mark, I suppose that we each intrepreted these statements the way we wanted. I read it as NOT a First-Scan bit, which normally only runs the first time a PLC runs after being off or in program mode. Instead, I think he wants something that resets the counters BEFORE his process Start Relay is latched (whenever and however many times that occurs AFTER a first-PLC-scan). If so, then the counters can be reset very simply with a NC contact from the Start Relay. No other logic needed.

If you are correct and he really wanted a first-scan pulse, then I apologize. But how do you know for sure?

Last edited: