SLC 5/05 Ethernet hardware fault (A2h)

Znatok

Hi, folks,

Running into a small problem here.
I currently have two two redundant AB CLX processors talking to the SLC 5/05 via a built-in SLC Ethernet port (connected by copper to a switch and then via fiber to another switch, and then copper to the AB 1756-ENBT cards of the CLX processors). SLC is the master and reads/writes to the CLX via MSG instructions (16 total, with a maximum of 8 running at any given time).
The system is working OK, however, I get random (not periodic!) Ethernet hardware faults on the SLC (fault code A2h). AB manual states that this fault is unique to the SLC 5/04 - 5/05, and that this fault can be cleared by writing to the status file, but the communications would only restore once the power of the SLC is cycled.

Just curious, if anyone has ever had similar problem before and how it was corrected (if it was). I'm just not sure whether simple replacement of the SLC processor (as recommended by AB TechSupport) would help....

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexei

Find it hard to believe that replacing a working processor will fix the fault. How are the messages staged, ie are they getting enough time to complete or are you sometimes filling a buffer.
Regards Alan Case

Error code 0xA2 covers several different possible failures of the Ethernet daughtercard on the SLC-5/05, including firmware crashes and hardware failures. You can get more detail from the Status file for the Ethernet channel; RA technical support can walk you through how to capture that information after a controller crash.

The Ethernet LED on the SLC should also flash in a repeating pattern; slow flashes for the first digit of the failure code, fast flashes for the second digit.

If your controller has failed multiple times, I tend to think that you have a defective Ethernet daughtercard and you're going to need to eventually replace the controller anyhow.

If it were me, I'd also add an Ethernet sniffer (www.ethereal.com) to the system and see if I could capture the last traffic between the SLC and the Logix to see if it is somehow different from the other messages sent between the two. But then, that's me.