SLC500 to PowerFlex 700

skeet

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all! Having a bit of a brain cramp at the moment...

I should be able to communicate to a Powerflex 700 AB drive, from a 5/05 via ethernet and the ethernet IP adapter, shouldn't I? http://www.ab.com/drives/20-comm/20-comm-e/index.html

Last new thing I did, I used an RIO scanner module and the drive's DPI module, but figured I could do this and save the cost of an extra slot usage.

Question is: do I use MSG transfers in the program? What obvious thing am I just missing? LOL!

Searching in this forum didn't quite do it, so...
Thanks in advance!
Skeet

You may be able to do this, but there is a small trick that works on the PLC5 which I think works on the latest SLC5/05 firmware (OS501 series C). When you talk about EtherNET/IP (or whatever the correct lowercase uppercase letters are) you are actually referring indirectly to protocol called CIP (control and information protocol, but have also seen common industrial protocol). The original SLC 5/05 spoke an older protocol called PCCC.

On the newer SLC's you should be able to force it to speak CIP by telling the message that it is "Multihop". That will cause it to be treated as a CIP Generic message like you will see described in the 20-COMM-E manual (of course it is described for a ControlLogix), but you should be able to muddle your way through the messaging examples and make them work. The only processor I am aware of that you can direct map to a CIP I/O connection is with a ControlLogix based processor.

See screen shots.

zzxxxaescreen01.JPG

sskdllfdmcScreen02.JPG

Last edited:
Actually, after going back an looking at this again I do not think that it is possible. The drive would have to support SLC or PLC type "files" to be able to message to and from the drive. What I described will work with the A-B ethernet power monitors that are series B or later, but they support PLC/SLC "files" for message data exchange.

Sorry,

Darren

I realise that this is not the answer you are looking for, but I'm very sold on using the 1747-SM1 DPI port modules for PLC to PowerFlex comms. If the Ethernet does not work out I would certainly have a look at the SM1's as I find them extremely easy to configure and typically they just plug in and go.

PhilipW said:
I realise that this is not the answer you are looking for, but I'm very sold on using the 1747-SM1 DPI port modules for PLC to PowerFlex comms. If the Ethernet does not work out I would certainly have a look at the SM1's as I find them extremely easy to configure and typically they just plug in and go.

Searching the AB site, I'm not finding a 1747-SM1 DPI port. Did you mean to say 1769-SM1? http://www.ab.com/drives/20-comm/1769-SM1/index.html

I've had a few spirited arguments about this very subject, with users who point out this nifty function of the 20-COMM-E and then ask why the SLC-5/05 can't run a rack of I/O over EtherNet/IP.

The 20-COMM-E has an EtherNet/IP "PCCC object" that can be accessed by an SLC-5/05 or PLC-5E that supports EtherNet/IP messaging (the past couple years of f/w revisions added that support).

SLC/PLC style Integer data file N41 is emulated by the 20-COMM-E. Writing to N41:0 and N41:1 will allow you to command the start/stop/jog functions of the drive and the 0-32767 reference value, respectively.

Further details are on page C-16 of the 20-COMM-E user manual.

Success in this endeavor depends on you having enough bandwidth on your SLC's Ethernet port to keep this messaging going. If you load the port heavily with HMI or other messaging traffic, you risk losing your control over the drive.

This is NOT EtherNet/IP I/O control, it's just a clever way for the PowerFlex drive to get it's command and reference via SLC messaging commands. The same PCCC object actually exists in the 1203-GU6 and the 1203-CN1, in fact.

Actually, I have used the 1203-SM1 with PowerFlex drives. There is a document somewhere that states it is compatible with the PowerFlex drives.

Darren

That's cool... Following that train of thought got me to looking at the CompactLogix stuff a little bit. So... No waste of time there!

Skeet

I've just completed (this morning) a pump station project using CompactLogix L31 and the 1769-SM1 to interface to two non-AB VSD's that happen to have an adaptor module that supports the old Scanport interface. I pushed the entire setup to the limit and I'm very happy with it, as I am able to extract quite a lot of data from the VSD, plus configure the entire VSD at startup.

Can highly recommend it.

Dash,

Thanks for that little tip re the old 1203-SM1. I wasn't sure about it being able to do DPI ports. I know that Scanport and DPI are very similar, but I haven;t ever seen a good explanation of why they are different.

PhilipW said:
Dash,

Thanks for that little tip re the old 1203-SM1. I wasn't sure about it being able to do DPI ports. I know that Scanport and DPI are very similar, but I haven;t ever seen a good explanation of why they are different.

Sorry for misleading you. The scanport product still is just that, but the 70/700 series of powerflex drives still speak Scanport, you just have to set the DPI data rate to 125K. There are also a couple of high end 700 series drives that DO NOT work, the 700S and H are the only ones that come to mind right now.

See this for more info.

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications%5Ckb%5CRAKB.nsf/0/853B47471FBF52A585256AFB006F6E38?OpenDocument

Darren