fiber optic cable for AB RIO

natarajand

Hai,
Any one can help me to make a system configuration for AB PLC based redundant system using processor SLC 5/05. The RIO rack is located 4-5 kilo meters from processor. how to connect RIO through fiber optic cable for the requirement.

Bye,
Natarajan

I'll tell you the same thing I told the last guy; SLC-500 is nominally capable of redundancy, but ControlLogix is a far better choice.

The redundant I/O scanner for SLC-500 systems is the 1747-BSN. The user manual is downloadable from literature.rockwellautomation.com.

Fiber-optic converters for the A-B Remote I/O protocol are available from Weed Instrument and Phoenix Digital. Look both of them up using the Rockwell Automation Encompass Partners webpage.

Use of fiber optic for communication with L64 controller in a AB panel with EN2T

Hi,

I am using L64 controller on a shopfloor which I need to connect to Optic Fiber cable to establish its communication with OPC server, can I know how to do it, hardware is not a problem if not there i can procure it.

Besides it will be real helpful if i can get server details which i must choose so that it has fiber optic connectivity.

Best Regards
Swaraj

I've used the Phoenix Digital stuff, both in rack and stand alone applications. Great stuff once you can figure out the setup as the manual is terrible at best. o_O

I can only hope they get a better manual for their products.

I'll tell you the same thing I told the last guy; SLC-500 is nominally capable of redundancy, but ControlLogix is a far better choice.

The redundant I/O scanner for SLC-500 systems is the 1747-BSN. The user manual is downloadable from literature.rockwellautomation.com.

Fiber-optic converters for the A-B Remote I/O protocol are available from Weed Instrument and Phoenix Digital. Look both of them up using the Rockwell Automation Encompass Partners webpage.

Welcome to the Forum, Swaraj.

The 1756-EN2T is an ordinary Ethernet module that uses Cat5e or Cat6 twisted-pair copper Ethernet cables.

Any Fiber-Optic interface you use with that module is going to have to be part of an Ethernet switch or media converter.

Ethernet switches are a very ordinary part of the IT business; you need to talk to whomever you buy computers and network components from.

I personally use Hirschmann (German) and N-Tron (American) switches for my automation projects when I can. Other brands may have better representation in India.

Thanks for replies and regards, I'll find out some more details on the networks and switches for change of medium and also about Phoneix Digitals so which ever option suits the best I can go ahead with that.

Cheers guys