Software Timebombs

Hi Janner 10,

One suggestion is if there is some sort of HMI or visual indicator/display on the system, you just keep a pre-programmed message stating that this "PLC Program will be on a trial basis till XX/XX/XXXX and upon completion of project closure will be transition to a full release". This way the "operators" will be pre-warned and they will continuously follow up with their management about getting the project closed? My language I'm sure can be improved but basically provide some sort of visual reminder, which will also cover the safety parameters if you are going to shut it down later if they are not paying their bills.

Mr. Bailey is spot on with the escrow arrangement, I've done this in the past for customers that had terrible credit ratings. Usually a lock box arrangement with a local bank. I've even on occasion done UCC filings on the equipment (basically a lien). For those interested, I noticed that UpWork does a escrow arrangement on some contract arrangements.

Last edited:
Hi Janner 10,

One suggestion is if there is some sort of HMI or visual indicator/display on the system, you just keep a pre-programmed message stating that this "PLC Program will be on a trial basis till XX/XX/XXXX and upon completion of project closure will be transition to a full release". This way the "operators" will be pre-warned and they will continuously follow up with their management about getting the project closed? My language I'm sure can be improved but basically provide some sort of visual reminder, which will also cover the safety parameters if you are going to shut it down later if they are not paying their bills.

Thanks - I like this suggestion.

Additionally, it won't shut anything down, just set a bit inline with the start button so the cycle can't be started.

If they have a programmer on site they can easily bypass this blockade. Unless there is an password on the program?

Unfortunately, from time to time I have to protect myself and my work. But before I do that I do following things:
- Make sure that my customer knows that there is protection in PLC before signing agreement and I that it is written in contract,
- I call it trial version, and it is last thing to bill in project (software),
- I make it sure that it happens (blockade) in situation where it is safe for people and process.