Allen bradley activation hosting

I meant to say something in the same form factor as the sandisk I have in the pictures. I know the dongle is hardware protection but they do make dongles in smaller form factors like the sandisk here in the pictures.

from what I found is the Dongle they use has a dedicated serial number that the activations attach to.
As for storage I put all my activation and certificates on the Dongle and still have plenty of room to store programs if needed.
as foe connecting to a server to borrow activations most places I work don't have internet access.
as for remembering to pack it the Dongle is just like any other piece of gear you need to work ( computer power supply, connection cables ) I keep mine in the computer case when I grab the case I have what I need

Local Node-Locked v Mobile Node-Locked

daba said:
...I am sure you meant to say "be using it to activate a different software product on another machine".... using the dongle to activate the same product on multiple machines would not be allowed under the license agreement...

No, my friend. I am very sure that I mean to say that the USB Dongle can Activate the same software product with the same serial number on multiple workstations.

Geospark said:
...Just plug the USB Dongle into whichever workstation and it will Activate the software products. Once Activated, you can plug out the Dongle, or be using it elsewhere, and the software products will remain Activated for 7 days under the Grace Period...

You can plug the USB Dongle into one workstation and any software product that is bound to it may be Activated. You can then plug it out of this workstation, while leaving the software product open, and the software will not recheck the Activation is valid for another 4 hours. After which it will enter into the Grace Period.

In the meantime, the USB Dongle may be plugged into another workstation, or even several other workstations one after the other, using the same serial number product, and they could all technically be Activated for the same 4 hours. Only the workstation that has the USB Dongle plugged in after 4 hours will continue to run fully licensed. All others will enter the Grace Period.

If you plug in the USB Dongle, open a software product and it is Activated, then unplug the USB Dongle, and close and reopen the software product, it will now inform you that the product has not been Activated and it will immediately enter the Grace Period. Once opened without Activation, the software will recheck for a valid Activation every 2 hours thereafter, but quite regular prompts will appear during this period. Even if you plug the Dongle straight back in it will not Activate until the 2 hours have elapsed, or immediately after you close and reopen the software.

Geospark said:
...You can also install the same software products on another workstation, or multiple workstations, using the same software serial numbers...

A basic but important clarification on what we're talking about here...

The ability to the install the same software product with the same serial number on multiple workstations has nothing to do with Activations. There is no restriction on the number of installed instances for the same software product. However, each instance will require Activation so it can be used on a permanent basis. For this, there are a couple of options...

Local Node-Locked License...

During the Activation setup the serial number must be bound to a physical piece of hardware local to the workstation (Host ID). The traditional method being the Hard Drive serial number. Here the license is said to be Node-Locked. The Node referring to the workstation. As the Hard Drive is a fixed piece of hardware, and cannot be easily moved between workstations, the license is effectively made what is known as a "Local Node-Locked" license. This method ensures that the software can only be used fully licensed local to this one workstation. Attempting to use this same Local Node-Locked license on another workstation, where the Hard Drive serial number is undoubtedly not the same, should not be possible. Any attempt to do so would be in breach of the Local Node-Locked licensing agreement. By binding a software serial number to a fixed piece of hardware as the Host ID, be it a Hard Drive or LAN Card, you are automatically creating a Local Node-Locked license. Once the serial number is bound to this one Hard Drive it cannot be bound to any other workstation that may also have the same software product installed with the same serial number.

Local Node-Locked licensing was the traditional method for years before the USB Dongle arrived. It was commonly understood that this licensing method ties the software local to one workstation. I think this prior understanding is possibly what you are basing your breach of the licensing agreement statement on.

For a Local Node-Locked license, if the fixed hardware failed, or the workstation was lost or stolen, then the Activation was traditionally Rehosted to the replaced fixed hardware or the replacement workstation.

But in recent years we now have another option...

Mobile Node-Locked License...

As we know, Local Node-Locked licensing does not permit concurrent Activations for the same software product on multiple workstations using the same serial number. To provide the option to do so Rockwell introduced the USB Dongle as an alternative hardware Host ID option. The difference being that the USB Dongle is removeable hardware. This mobility allows us to easily move the Host ID hardware between different workstations.

Once a software product serial number is first Activated on the Rockwell website, and is bound to the USB Dongle, the required Host ID may be transferred to any workstation that has this software installed, and it will Activate it. Each instance of the software does not know about the others. All each instance knows is whether the Host ID is present, or not. If present it will Activate. If not it will enter the Grace Period. This transferable licensing method is known as "Mobile Node-Locked" licensing.

The software serial number is still technically Node-Locked, or bound to a single node or workstation at a time, but because the Host ID is mobile it allows the workstation in question to be easily changed. Its mobility also facilitates an Activation overlap between the different workstations due to the nature of the software only rechecking 4 hours after initial Activation.

I used it yesterday morning where I plugged in the USB Dongle and opened RSLogix 500. It just opened without prompt because it was not in the Grace Period from its last use. If I had not plugged it in first it would have prompted me that it was not Activated and that it had entered the Grace Period. I then unplugged the USB Dongle and put it away in my desk drawer. I left the software open. I then went out to a machine that keeps faulting which is running on an SLC 5/05. I connected and stayed online for about 2 hours to monitor something and I was fully licensed all that time. If I had allowed 4 hours to elapse it would have prompted me and entered the Grace Period. In the meantime, my colleague was asked to look at an issue with the Plant Heating system which is running on a MicroLogix 1400. He opened his same serial number copy of the RSLogix 500 on his workstation back at the office. He was prompted that it was not Activated and had entered the Grace Period. He came out to me looking for the USB Dongle and I told him it was in the drawer. He went back and used it to Activate his copy of RSLogix 500 and placed it back in the drawer. Now both of us were fully licensed at the same time.

daba said:
I have never tried that, and it would be a great advantage in many situations...

Yes. The greatest advantage being the ability to use the USB Dongle to Activate the same serial number software product on more than one workstation at a time.

daba said:
...I'm always concerned about that great big green thing sticking out of the side of my laptop, it's already taken a knock or two, and does look a bit "bent"... plus I'm concerned about possible damage to my laptop USB port...

By Activating your software and removing the USB Dongle you can give yourself 4 hours uninterrupted use with a fully licensed product, once you leave it open. This is what I would suggest to those worried about the larger 9509-USB-DONG2 sticking out the side or back of their workstations, or even the smaller but still prone original 9509-USB-DONG. In most situations, there should not really be a need to leave it connected indefinitely.

Server based "Floating" and "Borrowed" licensing has its place to and is certainly an option here, should it suit. I "suggested" what I felt might be the most suitable alternative based on what the OP outlined. I could most certainly be wrong.

That's is the thing here. I'm always trying to point out that we shouldn't answer with "...here is what I do..." and "...yeah, that's what we do as well" or "...nah, I prefer this way..." type answers. Everyone's setup is not the same as yours and it is usually best to try and advise people as to what will suit their needs, not yours.

We are not all sitting in the same office every day where Local Node-Locked suits best. We are not all roaming around the plant where Mobile Node-Locked suits best. We are not all working with many other programmers in a company where Server Floating works best. We are not all often in hotel rooms on work nights where Server Borrowed works best.

We are not all the same so try not to make us that way or assume we are that way. That's all.

Regards,
George