Read MicroLogix from CompactLogix Issue with MSG

tomthelampy

Hi Guys,

Currently trying to read an int from a MicroLogix 1100 with a CompactLogix L16ER using the MSG instruction.

It's setup in the L16ER with
Path: 2, 192.168.0.13
Type: PLC5 Typed Read

Using these settings i'm currently getting a connection failure with the extended error code: 16#000_0311

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Hi Guys,

Currently trying to read an int from a MicroLogix 1100 with a CompactLogix L16ER using the MSG instruction.

It's setup in the L16ER with
Path: 2, 192.168.0.13
Type: PLC5 Typed Read

Using these settings i'm currently getting a connection failure with the extended error code: 16#000_0311

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Change type : to SLC type read.

To be honest, i'm not sure if any of it is correct. I'm struggling to find much information that I can understand.

On a L16ER, is '2' the on board ethernet port?

Back up a bit, you are able to connect to both PLC through ethernet on your computer, correct?

Getting the path in Ethernet/IP has always been challenging to me. I would also try to specify to your own PLC first by adding (1,0) in front so

1,0,2,IP

That path is correct. On the 1769-L16 (or any other CompactLogix 5370 family controller), the CIP path just starts with "2" for the Ethernet port.

The target IP address should be the IP address of the MicroLogix controller. Of course, you need to verify that.

The advice to use an SLC Typed Read command is also correct; the MicroLogix 1100/1400 are most closely related to the SLC-500 controllers and support those commands.

Also, be sure that the MicroLogix isn't in the I/O tree of the CompactLogix. MicroLogix can't do that kind of connection.

I updated the firmware in the CompactLogix to V28 and it worked straight away.

For reference, I used SLC Typed Read and 2, 192.168.0.15

Thanks for the assistance. :)

tomthelampy said:
...It's setup in the L16ER with
Path: 2, 192.168.0.13...

That is using 13 as the node address for the MicroLogix...

tomthelampy said:
...I updated the firmware in the CompactLogix to V28 and it worked straight away.

For reference, I used SLC Typed Read and 2, 192.168.0.15...

That is using 15 as the node address for the MicroLogix.

Are you sure the firmware fixed the issue or were you just using an incorrect node address?

Regards,
George