rs 5000 online edit

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it possible to create a data file in RS5000 in an online edit, I know in rs 500 it is not possible.
Thanks

Do you mean a tag? ControlLogix doesn't use data files. Yes you can if you mean a tag.

Just to add a little more, tags can be created online as long as the key switch is in REM or PROG positions. Tags cannot be created online if the key switch is in RUN.

Adding slightly more: You can add tags online but not edit them, so be careful and watch your spelling, data type, aliases etc before you click out and make the tag because changing any of those things after the fact will require a download.

Adding slightly more: You can add tags online but not edit them, so be careful and watch your spelling, data type, aliases etc before you click out and make the tag because changing any of those things after the fact will require a download.

Not exactly correct. You can rename and delete tags online if they are not being used or being actively scanned by something, such as an HMI.

Being new to rs5000 but have used 500 for years, once I have created a tag and said it is an INT how do I tell it what INT it is, I see I can create the tag online but can not associate it with a file for a read from a 1400 under Logic-Map PLC/SLC Message
I am trying to create a file of 10 Integers in the 5000 That I can read from a Micrologix 1400 with a MSG over ethernet.

INT = Integer. Range -32,768 to 32,767. ControlLogix also uses DINTs or Double integers (32 bit vs. 16 bit for INTs).

You need to looks up arrays. They are tags with the same name but an associated element number, i.e., foobar[2].

Being new to rs5000 but have used 500 for years, once I have created a tag and said it is an INT how do I tell it what INT it is, I see I can create the tag online but can not associate it with a file for a read from a 1400 under Logic-Map PLC/SLC Message
I am trying to create a file of 10 Integers in the 5000 That I can read from a Micrologix 1400 with a MSG over ethernet.

You need to break the link in your head between tags and data files. There isn't a link.

Yes, in RS500, all of your data was arranged in a data file, and you picked elements out of the data file to use.

In RS5000, data is stored in individual tags, and you can create and define them however you want. There is no pre-defined data area at all.

If you want a MicroLogix to read data from a Compact Logix over ethernet, you need to look at "PLC/SLC Mapping". This is where you map a tag to a virtual data map so that your MicroLogix can understand it - i.e., you tell the Compact Logix "if someone comes looking for N7:10, give them "This_Tag_Here" instead".

This thread gives a good explanation of it.

Not exactly correct. You can rename and delete tags online if they are not being used or being actively scanned by something, such as an HMI.

Agreed. I am forever forgetting to check my data type prior to creating the darn tag, and then having to delete it and then recreate it to get it right.

You can also edit UDTs while the program is running. A few years back, I added a task to an existing program that ended up needing to have some changes made to its UDT. IIRC, I made the change by unscheduling the task, deleting the task, and then I could change the UDT. It's been awhile, I might not have had to delete the task...

Thanks for all the help, I think I got now, watched a few more tutorials. I created my tags and mapped them to the micrologix. I will wait until the weekend to download and test.