Sensor to Determine Volume

2rlp

Have to determine volumes of packages on a conveyor. Client suggests that i utilise 3 ultrasonic analog sensors to do this. My concern is "what if the package has an odd shape?". Are there any sensors that can do this?

Thanks

Ron

yes and no
ultrasonic will not be very precise and does not work well in a noisy environment.
so the best way is to use laser or infrared distance sensors.
if it gets complex you will need to use cameras.

Sorry friends, was busy with another project and didnt have time to thank you all for your replies.
Customer is adamant, and wants to use this 3 analog ultrasonic sensor system. wants a rough value of volume.

Thanks once again

There's a wide range of ultra sonic sensors and you can get better than mm precision. Package shape and its alignment on the conveyor is the problem here as you have 3 points only measured.