Communication Problem in SLC 5/05 via RS232

Hello you all PLC masters....
I am working in one Oil Industry and I have a SLC 5\05 and it has some problems such as....

1. FLT LED blinking--- When all the I/O modules are attached

2. FLT LED remains steady (after some time..)--- When all the I/O modules are kept out and only Processor is attached in the rack..

3. Ehternet LED is blinking (Not Periodically)

4. Remaining all LEDs remains in OFF state

I want to reprogram my SLC but there is no communication between my Notebook and SLC.. I have made one RS232 cable and used its 3 pins (2-3, 3-2, 7-7... as I read in a book of- Dunning,"Programmable Logic Controllers"đź“š) but I could not see the Icon of SLC in the RSLinx...

I configured the driver in RSLinx as RS232 DF1, but still there problem exists... Is there a necessory for further configuration in RSLogix 500?.. I am somuch confused about this problem.. Please Help Me....
Thank You all in advance for your kind help...:site:

I have a feeling the guy has no any offline files.

Pranav, have you set the correct device type in the RSLinx DF1 driver configuration?
It must be "SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview".
Error checking should be CRC.
Also, autobrowse must be on in order to see the PLC icon.

Last edited:
How would you discover the PLC unknown IP address without reading the controller channels configuration via RS232?

I keep a small portable application called netscan on my usb drive (along with others like open office etc). I have used netsacn to scan ethernet connections to find IP address. Set up a small network with just your laptop and the CPU on it then start scanning. If you need to scan all suubnets it may take a while. Another option may be PM GIT I think he has a device that can browse a network looking for IP's

wireshark or ethereal

I use wireshark or ethereal to sniff the ARP tables.

When the plc boots up, it should ARP its ip address.

These programs will tell you the IP address.

Use a cross over cable if you are connected directly to the processor.

Make sure you set your machine to the same subnet, i.e. if the processor is 10.1.0.10 make your laptop 10.1.0.xx.

if the plc's ip address is o.o.o.o then you will have to most likely use a bootp program from the AB site.

Last edited:
Still having Communication problem of SLC 5/05

The pins must be
2-3
3-2
5-5 (!)

Then try to use the autoconfigure button in the connection dialog for DF1 in RSLinx.

So much thanks for your reply....
I have rearranged the RS232 pins as you have suggested and I configured driver as RS232 DF1 with 19.2K baudrate, Error Checking as CRC, Parity- None, and SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView but still there is no communication...
Then I refered to the Hardware Configuration manual provided by Rockwell and according to that I modified my RS232 cable as follows;
3-2
2-3
4-(6,1)
(6,1)-4
7-8
5-5
8-7
and then I configured my driver as both 1747 PIC and RS232 DF1 with Autoconfiguration Command but the problem still exists...
What would be the reason behind that...??
Waiting for you reply sir...
Thank you so much again....🤾

So much thanks for your reply....
I have rearranged the RS232 pins as 2-3, 3-2, 5-5 and then I configured driver as RS232 DF1 with 19.2K baudrate, Error Checking as CRC, Parity- None, and SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView but still there is no communication...
Then I refered to the Hardware Configuration manual provided by Rockwell and according to that I modified my RS232 cable as follows;
3-2
2-3
4-(6,1)
(6,1)-4
7-8
5-5
8-7
and then I configured my driver as both 1747 PIC and RS232 DF1 with AutoConfiguration Command one by one but the problem still exists...

Another task I want to share with you is that I made one crossed Ethernet cable to communicate with Enet port and then I found that the SLC was in Default state... I assigned an IP as 10.0.1.1 with the help of Bootp DHCP program and once I successfully downloaded the program into the SLC.. At that time it was showing Battery Low indication... When the supply is switched off, the downloaded program is erased from the memory and now the situation is I cannot communicate with the Enet port also... It is showing like- "Unrecognized Device 10.0.1.1" in the RSWho...I used Wireshark software for locating the actual IP address of the SLC today but there is neither any reply from the SLC of packets sent by my Notebook nor any packets is being sent by the SLC also...What should I do??
Waiting for you reply... Please help me...

Thank you so much again in advance to all of you....

2. FLT LED remains steady (after some time..)--- When all the I/O modules are kept out and only Processor is attached in the rack.

The controller is damaged or defective. Replace it.

I configured driver as RS232 DF1 with 19.2K baudrate, Error Checking as CRC, Parity- None, and SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView but still there is no communication...
3-2
2-3
4-(6,1)
(6,1)-4
7-8
5-5
8-7
and then I configured my driver as both 1747 PIC and RS232 DF1 with Autoconfiguration Command but the problem still exists...

What I see missing here is the comms port number is not mentioned,
If it is a real serial port on your computer it is normally "comms 1"
But if a USB to serial adapter is used it could be any number from "comms 4" up, and needs to be manually set in my experience, before RSLinx will auto configure, the DF1 driver.

If the Fault LED on the controller goes solid red, all efforts to configure communications over any port or protocol are futile.

The fact that the controller shows a solid red fault light under any circumstances, as well as the fact that the controller previously lost the user program when the power was cycled, both indicate a faulty controller.

It could be a tiny wisp of conductive material across a processor pin, it could be a colony of Madagascar Silicon Mites breeding between the memory chips, it could be a deep strike to the backplane ASIC by a high-speed muon burst from the hadron supercollider.

I'm willing to be shown to be incorrect; in most cases I've seen the solid red fault light is a permanent occurence, not a conditional one.

You can continue to diagnose using PING, ARP, and HTTP on the Ethernet port, and carefully holding the user's hand about COM ports and DF1 drivers.

But odds are good that the controller is damaged and must be replaced.

To many possibilities of failures. Replace, as said, the controller, if possible. You have to start doing fault finding somewhere. Better at the controller. Check the power supply to the controller, is this at an acceptable level and frequency. Some countries uses 60Hz, others use 50Hz. Does this correspond with your power supply unit specs. When you have installed the hardware and flicked the switch, Rockwell hardware should recognise themselves within any rack configuration.